Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-21-2024, 04:56 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-21-2024 04:36 AM)PeterMengel Wrote:  OKAY so far...535.98 disabled 4096 Resolution but still lower refreshrates then 60 availible. should i redo this test?
No, but it would help to know the latest driver you can find that works for you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2024, 05:00 AM (Last edited: 08-21-2024, 07:08 AM by PeterMengel)
(08-21-2024 04:56 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-21-2024 04:36 AM)PeterMengel Wrote:  OKAY so far...535.98 disabled 4096 Resolution but still lower refreshrates then 60 availible. should i redo this test?
No, but it would help to know the latest driver you can find that works for you.

Okay...how can i read it then by my own to find the highest possible driver?
Ill guess trial and error, wondering why refreshrate wasnt changed for 3840 still 23hz and such..so annoying!

546.65 Still no 4096 still no 60hz refreshrate only as option
4:2:0 Capability map is greyed out...there arent any hidden resolutions?

WELL...seems iam out of luck going through the drivers back and forth, nothing works. However it once worked
its now gone forever.Cause the 4096 seems more or less a bug of the newest nvidia driver, go one older and its gone.
but 144 and 60 mode only is now not doneable anymore. As by whatever reasons Samsung or Nvidia or both
wont let the customer choice.
08-21-2024, 01:38 PM
(08-21-2024 05:00 AM)PeterMengel Wrote:  Okay...how can i read it then by my own to find the highest possible driver?
Ill guess trial and error, wondering why refreshrate wasnt changed for 3840 still 23hz and such..so annoying!

WELL...seems iam out of luck going through the drivers back and forth, nothing works. However it once worked
its now gone forever.Cause the 4096 seems more or less a bug of the newest nvidia driver, go one older and its gone.
but 144 and 60 mode only is now not doneable anymore. As by whatever reasons Samsung or Nvidia or both
It won't tell you the highest possible driver. I was just checking what the monitor defined and what overrides you did. I only saw 24/25/30 Hz in the TV resolutions and HDMI data blocks. Capability map is for 4:2:0 and uses the TV resolutions data block, so nothing extra there. This is 100% an NVIDIA driver issue and not anything to do with Samsung.
08-21-2024, 05:08 PM
(08-21-2024 01:38 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-21-2024 05:00 AM)PeterMengel Wrote:  Okay...how can i read it then by my own to find the highest possible driver?

It won't tell you the highest possible driver. I was just checking what the monitor defined and what overrides you did. I only saw 24/25/30 Hz in the TV resolutions and HDMI data blocks. Capability map is for 4:2:0 and uses the TV resolutions data block, so nothing extra there. This is 100% an NVIDIA driver issue and not anything to do with Samsung.
Okay i found another problem, if ill switch to gaming mode CRU loses it totally. Before i can change a little but after the Game Mode its Empty, aswell CRU shows red if ill try to setup the refreshrate to 144.
08-21-2024, 07:35 PM
(08-21-2024 05:08 PM)PeterMengel Wrote:  Okay i found another problem, if ill switch to gaming mode CRU loses it totally. Before i can change a little but after the Game Mode its Empty, aswell CRU shows red if ill try to setup the refreshrate to 144.
Older NVIDIA drivers had another bug that caused the EDID to be reported incorrectly to Windows, so CRU isn't able to get the complete EDID in that case. I really wonder how you got it to work at all before.
08-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Hi,

Really sorry if this has been answered in the past, I looked on google quite a bit and read various posts on here.

I received the MSI 271QRX today, I was previously using 1080p but using 1728x1080 240hz. I'd quite like to use 2304x1440 240hz in one specific game but no matter what I do I cannot select 240hz.

And also the custom res only shows up in Nvidia control panel if I turn off DSC for some reason. I've tried with both DP and HDMI 2.1, I have updated the firmware of the monitor etc but I just can't get it to work sadly.

Not sure if I am just doing something wrong but I had no issues setting up and using my 1080 custom res so if someone could advise I'd really appreciate it
08-23-2024, 02:46 PM (Last edited: 08-23-2024, 03:27 PM by John Aspectratio)
Hello guys, im trying to setup a custom resolution with a different aspect ratio(2.39:1) on my laptop in order to gain more vision in a video game(albion online) You can only set resolutions ingame that also show up in the display setting menu but if you create a custom res the game lets you choose it. First i tried to set a custom resolution via the AMD software but on Laptops, or atleast the ones with an APU, you dont get the option in the display menu.

I tried using cru, both for hd and 720p but they dont show in my display settings, its possible that i made a mistake on this step maybe someone with some experience with the program could check if i did everything correctly(to preempt this suggestion, i did use the driver restart 64 and also restarted my computer, i also enabled gpu scaling in the radeon software settings). I attached screenshots of the settings i chose below, the first screenshot is the default setting that was there from the beginning for reference.

I can activate virtual super resolution with the amd software which allows me to go up to 3840x2160 but it does not give me the res that im looking for (1280x536 or if that is not possible 1920x800). If anyone can point me to a solution or atleast tell me with certainty that it wont work i would greatly appreciate it, im trying to find a solution for hours(days) with no success.
Thank you for your help.

APU

AMD Radeon ™ Graphics

Primary/Integrated

VRAM

2048 MB

DDR4 1333 MHz
https://imgur.com/a/ZN7LOru
https://imgur.com/a/HxTl8K4
https://imgur.com/a/gjc40wY

EDIT:Im not sure exactly what i did, but i managed to get the aspec ratio 1920:800 to work. These are the settings that i used https://imgur.com/a/D0RTEUp. This is a great step forward, however i would like to use the 720p version of this aspect ratio(2.4:1) to get more fps, which according to this site https://www.unravel.com.au/aspect-ratio-cheat-sheet should be 1280:524. I tried copy pasting the settings and change the res but it does not show up in my display settings.
08-23-2024, 03:28 PM
(08-23-2024 02:46 PM)John Aspectratio Wrote:  Hello guys, im trying to setup a custom resolution with a different aspect ratio(2.39:1) on my laptop in order to gain more vision in a video game(albion online) You can only set resolutions ingame that also show up in the display setting menu but if you create a custom res the game lets you choose it. First i tried to set a custom resolution via the AMD software but on Laptops, or atleast the ones with an APU, you dont get the option in the display menu.

I tried using cru, both for hd and 720p but they dont show in my display settings, its possible that i made a mistake on this step maybe someone with some experience with the program could check if i did everything correctly(to preempt this suggestion, i did use the driver restart 64 and also restarted my computer, i also enabled gpu scaling in the radeon software settings). I attached screenshots of the settings i chose below, the first screenshot is the default setting that was there from the beginning for reference.

I can activate virtual super resolution with the amd software which allows me to go up to 3840x2160 but it does not give me the res that im looking for (1280x536 or if that is not possible 1920x800). If anyone can point me to a solution or atleast tell me with certainty that it wont work i would greatly appreciate it, im trying to find a solution for hours(days) with no success.
Thank you for your help.
CRU should work with AMD laptops, but laptop screens can't display non-native resolutions without GPU scaling, so you should just use SRE instead: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...Editor-SRE

Also Windows won't list resolutions less than 600 lines in the display settings (or 480 lines in the advanced display settings), but they are available for programs to use.
08-23-2024, 03:28 PM
(08-23-2024 01:40 PM)Nickoglas Wrote:  Hi,

Really sorry if this has been answered in the past, I looked on google quite a bit and read various posts on here.

I received the MSI 271QRX today, I was previously using 1080p but using 1728x1080 240hz. I'd quite like to use 2304x1440 240hz in one specific game but no matter what I do I cannot select 240hz.

And also the custom res only shows up in Nvidia control panel if I turn off DSC for some reason. I've tried with both DP and HDMI 2.1, I have updated the firmware of the monitor etc but I just can't get it to work sadly.

Not sure if I am just doing something wrong but I had no issues setting up and using my 1080 custom res so if someone could advise I'd really appreciate it
NVIDIA's driver doesn't allow EDID overrides or custom resolutions with DSC enabled if the pixel rate for the highest resolution and refresh rate requires two internal heads. You can use SRE instead: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...Editor-SRE
08-23-2024, 03:53 PM
(08-23-2024 03:28 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  CRU should work with AMD laptops, but laptop screens can't display non-native resolutions without GPU scaling, so you should just use SRE instead: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...Editor-SRE

Also Windows won't list resolutions less than 600 lines in the display settings (or 480 lines in the advanced display settings), but they are available for programs to use.
the 1920x800 resolution started working with CRU after i tried some advice you gave before by scouring this website with google for related questions (im not sure what it was, i think setting it from manual to pc fixed it, but im not sure), i tried to add 1280x524 again with SRE after your reply but it does not show up in the game options. i suspect it might has something to do with the game itself(albion online), maybe it only displays resolutions found in the display settings or it does not support 2.4:1 on 720p.

Thank you again for your swift help with my issue. I almost never ask in a forum for help since i firmly believe that almost any software problem(even this one as it turns out) was already answered by someone somewhere on the internet. But my issue was too niche and the keywords to broad to find the solution on my own. You can be proud of the work you are putting into this and the countless people you helped over the years.