Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-22-2024, 07:25 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Got a question...
I'm running 3 monitors in surround mode and I'm trying to match the in game settings for something I'm playing.

Currently the display is set at 7680X1440
I managed to set the resolution to 5760 X 1080 as that's what chatgpt suggested.

It worked at first but this morning my surround monitors didn't work properly and upon restart they dropped to a lower resolution and I no longer have the ability to edit display in Nvidia control panel which is where I had set that resolution.

I actually had to remove and reinstall Nvidia control panel as it wouldn't even open properly.

Will CRU work to set this? If so is there a way to easily switch back to the higher resolution for non game?

TIA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2024, 08:30 PM
(05-22-2024 07:25 PM)Sl8tr Wrote:  Got a question...
I'm running 3 monitors in surround mode and I'm trying to match the in game settings for something I'm playing.

Currently the display is set at 7680X1440
I managed to set the resolution to 5760 X 1080 as that's what chatgpt suggested.

It worked at first but this morning my surround monitors didn't work properly and upon restart they dropped to a lower resolution and I no longer have the ability to edit display in Nvidia control panel which is where I had set that resolution.

I actually had to remove and reinstall Nvidia control panel as it wouldn't even open properly.

Will CRU work to set this? If so is there a way to easily switch back to the higher resolution for non game?
What resolutions are available when Surround is configured for 7680x1440? I would have thought 5760x1080 would be one of the default options. What did you do to set the resolution to 5760x1080? Surround not working after a restart would be an NVIDIA driver bug. If this was after a shutdown, try disabling fast startup: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutio...ndows-1081
05-22-2024, 09:39 PM
The closest resolution is 3840x1024 in the display settings.

I was able to manually do the adapter customization before but now that isn't available and I can't add a custom for some reason.

I did a clean driver install and can see the menus again.

I'll check that link our thanks
05-23-2024, 04:38 AM
(05-22-2024 08:30 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  What resolutions are available when Surround is configured for 7680x1440? I would have thought 5760x1080 would be one of the default options. What did you do to set the resolution to 5760x1080? Surround not working after a restart would be an NVIDIA driver bug. If this was after a shutdown, try disabling fast startup: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutio...ndows-1081
I have a question;

On default monitor settings, my EDID tells nvidia CP that i have TV and PC resolutions, with the TV 1080p 60hz being labeled as (native) but the PC section below it also has 1080p resolutions, but with higher refresh rates - this is the normal config.

In MonInfo program, default setting shows:

EIA/CEA/CTA-861 Information
Revision number.......... 3
IT underscan............. Supported
Basic audio.............. Supported
YCbCr 4:4:4.............. Supported
YCbCr 4:2:2.............. Supported
Native formats........... 1

but when i use CRU to delete all TV resolutions so my monitor only shows PC resolutions, the listing in MonInfo changes to:

EIA/CEA/CTA-861 Information
Revision number.......... 3
IT underscan............. Not supported
Basic audio.............. Supported
YCbCr 4:4:4.............. Not supported
YCbCr 4:2:2.............. Not supported
Native formats........... 0

My main question is: by deleting all TV resolutions and seeing the second list pop up (not supported and native format 0) am i causing any issues with the PC resolutions? for example, is Native format being changed to 0 or IT Underscan being not supported a problem when I use regular 1080p at 144hz? I just wanna use 1920x1080 @ 144hz with Full RGB and proper colors.

deleting TV resolutions gives me a completely different image and lowers my eyestrain.

am i losing out on any features or losing proper functionality by deleting the TV resolutions in CRU? what do you recommend i do in this case?
05-24-2024, 11:52 PM (Last edited: 05-25-2024, 12:01 AM by Kcollins2122)
I am trying to switch my resolution in a game and I followed the tutorial but my monitor is 1920x1080 240Hz but the only thing that shows up is 1920x1080. I already tried different display port cables could someone help please? https://imgur.com/a/0s30a6R

When I edit the frames to 240 I get a black bar down the middle of my screen also!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-26-2024, 04:14 AM
(05-24-2024 11:52 PM)Kcollins2122 Wrote:  I am trying to switch my resolution in a game and I followed the tutorial but my monitor is 1920x1080 240Hz but the only thing that shows up is 1920x1080. I already tried different display port cables could someone help please? https://imgur.com/a/0s30a6R

When I edit the frames to 240 I get a black bar down the middle of my screen also!
You're not making sense. What resolution? What game? What tutorial? What monitor?
05-26-2024, 04:14 AM
(05-23-2024 04:38 AM)jeffeh12133 Wrote:  My main question is: by deleting all TV resolutions and seeing the second list pop up (not supported and native format 0) am i causing any issues with the PC resolutions? for example, is Native format being changed to 0 or IT Underscan being not supported a problem when I use regular 1080p at 144hz? I just wanna use 1920x1080 @ 144hz with Full RGB and proper colors.

deleting TV resolutions gives me a completely different image and lowers my eyestrain.

am i losing out on any features or losing proper functionality by deleting the TV resolutions in CRU? what do you recommend i do in this case?
CRU always sets IT underscan to false and native formats to 0 (undefined) because they have no effect in Windows.

IT underscan is whether PC resolutions are underscanned, which they normally are, but this is merely informational and doesn't affect anything, so CRU doesn't set it.

Native formats is the number of detailed resolutions that are considered native, but Windows only cares about the first one regardless, and 0 really means the number is not defined, so it's supposed to mean the same as 1 because the first detailed resolution is always considered the preferred resolution by the EDID standard.

TV resolutions are just a shorthand way of defining certain resolutions commonly used by HDTVs with specific timing parameters as defined by the CTA-861 standard. That actually has nothing to do with the HD resolutions being listed separately in the NVIDIA control panel, which is NVIDIA's own distinction and can happen with detailed resolutions as well if the timing parameters match the CTA-861 standard. Deleting the TV resolutions would not affect 144 Hz or the color formats.
05-26-2024, 07:11 PM (Last edited: 05-26-2024, 07:21 PM by Electron29)
So in Windows 11 I used the Microsoft HDR calibration tool. I've read that it changes edid values of monitors. I'm looking to reverse the changes the calibration tool made. Every time I try and delete the calibration and start again, it doesn't seem to erase what it already did and start over. It seems to try and refine what I've already made and it ends up looking worse. If I use reset-all.exe, will that reverse the changes the tool made? What about if I reset Windows?

Also, I am on a laptop with a built-in display. In CRU, I have two monitor profiles. One is active and the other one is not. Is that because I have two GPU's? The one that isn't active has more extension block info. is that for my other GPU or is that the way the monitor was before I used the calibration tool? Also, the second profile has displayID 2.0 info with a section labeled other and another section labelled CTA data blocks. Both are greyed out. Is there a way to see that information?

Thanks.
05-27-2024, 05:13 AM
(05-26-2024 07:11 PM)Electron29 Wrote:  So in Windows 11 I used the Microsoft HDR calibration tool. I've read that it changes edid values of monitors. I'm looking to reverse the changes the calibration tool made. Every time I try and delete the calibration and start again, it doesn't seem to erase what it already did and start over. It seems to try and refine what I've already made and it ends up looking worse. If I use reset-all.exe, will that reverse the changes the tool made? What about if I reset Windows?

Also, I am on a laptop with a built-in display. In CRU, I have two monitor profiles. One is active and the other one is not. Is that because I have two GPU's? The one that isn't active has more extension block info. is that for my other GPU or is that the way the monitor was before I used the calibration tool? Also, the second profile has displayID 2.0 info with a section labeled other and another section labelled CTA data blocks. Both are greyed out. Is there a way to see that information?
The HDR Calibration app does not change the EDID. It creates a color profile. Running reset-all.exe removes all EDID overrides and resets certain display settings, but not color profiles. The color profiles are listed in the Color Management control panel. After removing the profile, the colors should reset after restarting Windows.

Inactive display entries are usually from the basic display driver that is used before the driver was installed or while running restart.exe, or it could be a leftover from an older driver. CRU currently can only read detailed resolutions and tiled display topology from DisplayID extension blocks.
05-27-2024, 07:33 AM
Custom Resolution Crashed Monitor
I used custom resolution, to try and overclock my hz; slightly over; next thing I see to do is restart my monitor, so I did; I tried going from 144 to 165; (note I am new to this, probably fucked something up but didn't know) next thing I see is.
[Image: IMG_2523.jpg?ex=6655840c&is=6654...0&]

any idea how to fix? I can't even get to the login thing, that's literally all i see..