Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-23-2024, 08:21 PM (Last edited: 06-23-2024, 08:59 PM by GlennyPlaysStuff)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Just doing a bit more testing for gsync..... I'm wondering if it's just because I'm using triple monitors?

First time I've actually noticed.... but if I turn on the gsync indicator....I can only have 2 displays working with gsync.... the other will not display the gsync indicator....

I.e. I make display 1 my primary.... open a game on it....gsync OK.

I switch primary to display 2... open a game...gsync ok.

I switch to 3.... open a game... no gsync.

If I turn display 3 off and on again.... it now gets gsync indicator.

Switch primary to d2....gsync OK.... switch to 1.... no gsync....

So it's like only 2 are allowed to be set as gsync...

This might be why I'd randomly get one display going black mid game?

What I've been doing previously is just turning off adaptive sync on my monitor, as I figure, why bother if I can't turn on gsync in the control panel.....

However.... I've just discovered that if I leave adaptive sync enabled on the monitor.... but turn off gsync in the nvidia control panel.... the refresh rate IS STILL adjusting on the fly.... you can see it in the osd... unless I turn on vsync in game.... and then it stays at 98hz or 120hz or whenever you set it at.

Need to do more tests and work out what actually plays better

:: edit::

Nope.... still random black screen with adaptive sync....so I guess it's just not compatible with nvidia cards at all.

Not to worry.

I'm just gonna have to stick to all screens 98hz and do what I can to get an extra few fps in flight sim to maintain 1/3 of that for smooth flight.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2024, 09:29 PM
(06-23-2024 05:43 PM)GlennyPlaysStuff Wrote:  In cru, if I try and set anything above 74hz at 3840x2160, it just turns red. If I tick interlaced I can go higher.... but those resolutions/ refresh rates are not added or selectable anywhere so far as I can tell.
That's explained in the first post, and newer GPUs don't support interlaced so that won't be listed.

(06-23-2024 05:43 PM)GlennyPlaysStuff Wrote:  Yes, the 98hz is a default listed option. The 98hz is evident by the fact that vsync is capping games at 98fps, but also if I open the monitors osd it shows as 90hz until I open a full screen game, then the screen blacks out for a second and it switches to 98hz.
Then adding 90 Hz with CRU might help, but I don't know if the driver will ignore it with your monitors. Also make sure "preferred refresh rate" is set to "application-controlled" and not "highest available" in the NVIDIA control panel's 3D settings.

(06-23-2024 05:43 PM)GlennyPlaysStuff Wrote:  As for the gsync issue, I did try with different cables, and reducing the data rate by using 422, and even reducing refresh rate down to 60hz.... with gsync enabled, I get random black screens during use. So I'm guessing it must just be not gsync compatible at all?

If it were just something to do with timings or settings, where would I even start with making adjustments to test? I'm thinking I should probably just accept that I need normal vsync only for these monitors though, at least with my nvidia gpu.
Honestly sounds like the monitors might not handle variable refresh rate correctly.

(06-23-2024 08:21 PM)GlennyPlaysStuff Wrote:  Just doing a bit more testing for gsync..... I'm wondering if it's just because I'm using triple monitors?

First time I've actually noticed.... but if I turn on the gsync indicator....I can only have 2 displays working with gsync.... the other will not display the gsync indicator....
That shouldn't cause black screens, but not being able to enable G-SYNC on all three monitors is an issue on NVIDIA's end. I'm hearing it's hit or miss with G-SYNC compatible monitors and is more likely to work with NVIDIA Surround enabled.

(06-23-2024 08:21 PM)GlennyPlaysStuff Wrote:  However.... I've just discovered that if I leave adaptive sync enabled on the monitor.... but turn off gsync in the nvidia control panel.... the refresh rate IS STILL adjusting on the fly.... you can see it in the osd... unless I turn on vsync in game.... and then it stays at 98hz or 120hz or whenever you set it at.
That shouldn't happen. That sounds like a bug in NVIDIA's driver.
06-23-2024, 10:06 PM
Nice one!

I have set it up in cru now under the extension blocks section. I just use automatic PC settings for 90hz and now it stays at 90hz... meaning I can use in game 33% vsync in flight sim for my smooth 30fps again and other games I can play basically anything I like at 4k 90fps and it's all silky smooth now.

Thanks for your help. Smile
06-24-2024, 12:54 PM (Last edited: 06-24-2024, 01:40 PM by GlennyPlaysStuff)
One final question....if I do try and use nvidia surround again for some games, the res is 11520x2160.... do the dp data limits apply to the total res, or the res per monitor? Using an online calc, screen res of 11520x2160, I can't really go above around 40hz to stay within the data limits.

Assuming it's limited per monitor then 3840x2160 at 90hz is fine.... but should I do anything different in cru with this large res, or should I just let nvidia control panel handle surround?

Just tried it.... with the custom res 90hz it won't stick in surround mode, and yet it auto switched up to 120hz this time lol... but then the 90hz option is gone and I can't even disable surround haha.

Think I'll cut my losses and ddu, reinstall the driver and stick to 3 separate 90hz displays. Works great for flight sim and I can still play other games on the middle monitor at 4k 90hz with zero frame variance, constant 90fps Smile
06-24-2024, 03:01 PM
(06-24-2024 12:54 PM)GlennyPlaysStuff Wrote:  One final question....if I do try and use nvidia surround again for some games, the res is 11520x2160.... do the dp data limits apply to the total res, or the res per monitor? Using an online calc, screen res of 11520x2160, I can't really go above around 40hz to stay within the data limits.

Assuming it's limited per monitor then 3840x2160 at 90hz is fine.... but should I do anything different in cru with this large res, or should I just let nvidia control panel handle surround?
It's per monitor. CRU would need to be configured per monitor, and then Surround would fuse them into one virtual monitor. Problem is with the highest refresh rates using DSC, that may interfere with the process since NVIDIA doesn't support custom resolutions or EDID overrides with DSC active.
06-24-2024, 04:46 PM (Last edited: 06-24-2024, 10:22 PM by GlennyPlaysStuff)
(06-24-2024 03:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-24-2024 12:54 PM)GlennyPlaysStuff Wrote:  One final question....if I do try and use nvidia surround again for some games, the res is 11520x2160.... do the dp data limits apply to the total res, or the res per monitor? Using an online calc, screen res of 11520x2160, I can't really go above around 40hz to stay within the data limits.

It's per monitor. CRU would need to be configured per monitor, and then Surround would fuse them into one virtual monitor. Problem is with the highest refresh rates using DSC, that may interfere with the process since NVIDIA doesn't support custom resolutions or EDID overrides with DSC active.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

In theory, 90hz should be fine, as 8 bit, 4k, 90hz is within the data limit so dsc shouldn't be needed/ used.

Weird that it doesn't seem to like it. Still, I'm happy with the setup now. Single screen for most games is fine, and I can put things like discord and steam on the other screens.

One final note just to add....I manged to get surround working at 90hz....I forgot to mention that with these 3 screens, I also have 2 additional 720p 60hz monitors that are part of my flight sim setup (they are for g1000 navigation units). It turns out that 90hz works fine with surround, even in full screen games, as long as I don't extend to either/both of these additional screens.

Just reinstalled display magician now that I have it all working too, and added hotkeys to my loupedeck, so that I can press a button to switch to the triple 4k 90hz with the 2 60hz g1000 displays, or press another button to switch to nvidia surround 11520x2160 90hz without them.

No time to actually play anything tonight now, but did a quick test in flight sim mode, smooth 30fps and a quick tutorial test in hunt showdown with surround, smooth 90fps.

Finally sorted I think.

Thanks again for the pointers, and for such a useful program. Very happy with this setup now.
06-24-2024, 10:39 PM
I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but this thread's over 800 pages and after going through 25, I got text lines burned into my eyeballs.

So I'm just going to ask: I have a 144hz monitor. All I wanna do is add a custom refresh rate, because both windows and nvidia control panel only allow me to choose either 60 or 144hz.

In the detailed resolutions part of this tool, there's one entry and that's for the 1080p 144hz. Can I just copy the values in there (front porch, sync width and all that stuff I know nothing about) and create a new entry, paste those values and simply change refresh rate to 120hz and call it a day? Also, will it affect DSR resolutions? I want to be able to use 120hz while using DSR, if that makes sense.
06-25-2024, 02:25 AM
(06-24-2024 10:39 PM)Ming Ling Wrote:  I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but this thread's over 800 pages and after going through 25, I got text lines burned into my eyeballs.

So I'm just going to ask: I have a 144hz monitor. All I wanna do is add a custom refresh rate, because both windows and nvidia control panel only allow me to choose either 60 or 144hz.

In the detailed resolutions part of this tool, there's one entry and that's for the 1080p 144hz. Can I just copy the values in there (front porch, sync width and all that stuff I know nothing about) and create a new entry, paste those values and simply change refresh rate to 120hz and call it a day? Also, will it affect DSR resolutions? I want to be able to use 120hz while using DSR, if that makes sense.
You can, but I also provided timing options to help fill in the values with common standards. The values don't matter much. They mainly control the amount of time between each line and frame, so anything that isn't too low usually works if the monitor supports the refresh rate. Most 144 Hz monitors already define 120 Hz by default, so I wonder if there's a reason they left it out. Any refresh rate added to the native resolution should be available with DSR.
06-25-2024, 03:42 AM (Last edited: 06-25-2024, 03:43 AM by Ming Ling)
(06-25-2024 02:25 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-24-2024 10:39 PM)Ming Ling Wrote:  I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but this thread's over 800 pages and after going through 25, I got text lines burned into my eyeballs.

You can, but I also provided timing options to help fill in the values with common standards. The values don't matter much. They mainly control the amount of time between each line and frame, so anything that isn't too low usually works if the monitor supports the refresh rate. Most 144 Hz monitors already define 120 Hz by default, so I wonder if there's a reason they left it out. Any refresh rate added to the native resolution should be available with DSR.

Thanks man, appreciate you. I know next to nothing about monitors so I was afraid that the values in the detailed resolution menu were tied to refresh rate or could affect it somehow, I dunno...

120hz probably doesn't show up cause it's a generic laptop monitor or something like that, no clue really. Either way, the new refresh rate now shows up in display options and it works great so thanks again.
06-25-2024, 05:58 AM (Last edited: 06-25-2024, 06:10 AM by jeffeh12133)
(06-24-2024 03:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  It's per monitor. CRU would need to be configured per monitor, and then Surround would fuse them into one virtual monitor. Problem is with the highest refresh rates using DSC, that may interfere with the process since NVIDIA doesn't support custom resolutions or EDID overrides with DSC active.
I have a question,

Is it ok if i take the detailed resolution of 1080p @ 144hz listed under CTA-861 extension block and simply place it at the very top as a default/native detailed timing? I want to delete the max res (144hz 1080p) from the extension block and simply list it at the very top of the base EDID as the native resolution. Are there any downsides to doing this and do you recommend it? Is there a difference between the detailed resolution being in CTA-861 extension block or the native/preferred res? I want to end the confusion once and for all and simply use 144hz 1080p and not have any issues

thanks