Memory downclocking at 180 Hz
08-26-2024, 06:42 AM
Memory downclocking at 180 Hz
I'm using a 180 Hz panel with an AMD RX 580. I'm suffering from the infamous memory clock not down clocking with any refresh rate faster than 60 Hz.
Setting the timing to automatic PC with 120,144,165 Hz works perfect, but not with 180 Hz. It would simply blank out of range. I can manually tweak the vertical blank but the largest blanking line value the monitor could handle still not enough for the GPU to down clock.
Is there anything I could attempt to have proper vram down clocking at 180 Hz ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2024, 08:10 PM
RE: Memory downclocking at 180 Hz
Does the monitor accept a higher vertical blanking if you lower the horizontal blanking? If not, there's nothing you can do.
08-27-2024, 01:14 AM
(08-26-2024 08:10 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Does the monitor accept a higher vertical blanking if you lower the horizontal blanking? If not, there's nothing you can do.

Sadly no, I keep lowering HBlank in increment of 10 until it reach the lowest limit but no luck. Guess I'll live with that.

While you're at it, does modifying vertical blanking value has any effect on Free sync operation ? AFIK free sync also manipulate the back porch.
08-27-2024, 01:24 AM
(08-27-2024 01:14 AM)stizzie Wrote:  While you're at it, does modifying vertical blanking value has any effect on Free sync operation ? AFIK free sync also manipulate the back porch.
Increasing the vertical blanking could affect the lowest refresh rate it can handle. You will know if it starts blacking out at low frame rates.