Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
09-25-2024, 09:10 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello everyone. I was hoping someone could offer me some advice. I have my PC connected to my LG G2 and I have an AVR connected to the TV, I use eARC and passthrough. For whatever reason, Windows 11 doesn't receive any EDID from the AVR, so it'll only report as supporting stereo. I've long since been adding 5.1 through CRU, that works great.

I was trying to get Dolby Atmos working in Windows 11, but then it struck me there's no EDID for it. If I connect my PC to my AVR, all the EDID is fine, but that's not an option as I don't want to have to switch input type and display profiles each time I switch between PC and my media player.

Is there any reason why I can't plug my PC into the AVR, export the profile in CRU and then plug the PC back into the TV and import it? I know that it works, but I want to make sure there's no potential damage or issues I can cause from doing that.

Many thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2024, 12:35 AM
(09-24-2024 01:52 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-24-2024 12:12 AM)funkerwolf Wrote:  Good night, am I the only one who noticed that after version 32.0.101.5768 there is no more monitor overclocking on 11th generation Intel integrated graphics? I can't set 75 hertz on my resolution 1920x1200, tried all options, only rollback to 32.0.101.5768 helps.
MoBo MSi B560M PRO-VDH - latest bios
CPu Intel Core i5-11500
Lenovo ThinkVision T23d-10 - hdmi link
Windows 11 24h2 26100.1876
The problem appeared since version 32.0.101.5971
Is there an HDMI data block in the CTA-861 extension block? If not, the pixel clock will be limited to 165 MHz. If there is an HDMI data block, is the max TMDS clock higher than the pixel clock for the custom refresh rate? If not, the driver might ignore the custom refresh rate. Ideally it should be set to 340 MHz for HDMI 1.4.

It is all in place, but on the latest versions in Windows and through the Intel panel does not give just select 75 hertz, there is no such item to select.
09-27-2024, 12:07 AM
(09-26-2024 12:35 AM)funkerwolf Wrote:  It is all in place, but on the latest versions in Windows and through the Intel panel does not give just select 75 hertz, there is no such item to select.
Show me what you have. Run this and post the test.txt here: https://www.monitortests.com/EDID-test.zip
09-27-2024, 12:07 AM
(09-25-2024 09:10 PM)Benji Wrote:  Hello everyone. I was hoping someone could offer me some advice. I have my PC connected to my LG G2 and I have an AVR connected to the TV, I use eARC and passthrough. For whatever reason, Windows 11 doesn't receive any EDID from the AVR, so it'll only report as supporting stereo. I've long since been adding 5.1 through CRU, that works great.

I was trying to get Dolby Atmos working in Windows 11, but then it struck me there's no EDID for it. If I connect my PC to my AVR, all the EDID is fine, but that's not an option as I don't want to have to switch input type and display profiles each time I switch between PC and my media player.

Is there any reason why I can't plug my PC into the AVR, export the profile in CRU and then plug the PC back into the TV and import it? I know that it works, but I want to make sure there's no potential damage or issues I can cause from doing that.
You can do that. It's what I would recommend since the AVR can't pass the EDID through eARC.
09-28-2024, 04:25 PM
Hello,

SUMMARY: No 4K or HDR modes listed for Sony PJ

I was trying to export the EDID of a Sony 360ES 4K projector for use in a dummy plug for Moonlight streaming from gaming PC to this projector.

The dummy plug is 8K HDMI but does not have any HDR modes in it so need a HDR EDIT flashed to it

I plugged laptop directly into projector using 8K HDMI cable

Windows 10 sees the new display as Sony PJ and all resolutions and I can open a second display in 4K on laptop

But when I look at the CRU info page for the projector I don't see any 4K resolutions at all - no HDR extensions either.

See screenshot here - can see it sees Sony PJ - but info looks like laptop info - does CRU have to open on the projector screen or something?

[Image: xwri44a]

https://imgur.com/a/xwri44a

Is this utility supposed to work with 4K projectors to export their EDID for dummy plugs?
09-28-2024, 06:09 PM
(09-28-2024 04:25 PM)geogan Wrote:  Hello,

I was trying to export the EDID of a Sony 360ES 4K projector for use in a dummy plug for Moonlight streaming from gaming PC to this projector.

The dummy plug is 8K HDMI but does not have any HDR modes in it so need a HDR EDIT flashed to it

Windows 10 sees the new display as Sony PJ and all resolutions and I can open a second display in 4K on laptop

But when I look at the CRU info page for the projector I don't see any 4K resolutions at all - no HDR extensions either.

See screenshot here - can see it sees Sony PJ - but info looks like laptop info - does CRU have to open on the projector screen or something?

Is this utility supposed to work with 4K projectors to export their EDID for dummy plugs?
Why are you using an old version of CRU? What GPU is this?
09-28-2024, 11:46 PM
(09-28-2024 06:09 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-28-2024 04:25 PM)geogan Wrote:  Hello,

Why are you using an old version of CRU? What GPU is this?

Old version? Its 1.5.1... I got here a few days ago... surely not that old or different if latest version I see is 1.5.2??

What GPU? Where? Gaming PC is RTX 4080. The cheap laptop I used to try and get EDID from projector and LG TV is some built GPU in, no idea - what difference does GPU in laptop make? I can't haul gigantic heavy gaming PC from upstairs office to downstairs living room to plug directly into projector.
09-29-2024, 01:15 AM
So I have the new PG27AQDP

I tried editing the HDR override so that the min luminance is null. I've kept DSC on so I can get the full 480hz.

But it seems that it doesn't save, even after restarting.

Is this expected behavior? Is it a limitation of the monitor itself or something Nvidia has done?
09-29-2024, 01:33 AM
(09-29-2024 01:15 AM)christpunchers Wrote:  So I have the new PG27AQDP

I tried editing the HDR override so that the min luminance is null. I've kept DSC on so I can get the full 480hz.

But it seems that it doesn't save, even after restarting.

Is this expected behavior? Is it a limitation of the monitor itself or something Nvidia has done?
NVIDIA's driver ignores EDID overrides with DSC enabled.
09-29-2024, 01:33 AM
(09-28-2024 11:46 PM)geogan Wrote:  Old version? Its 1.5.1... I got here a few days ago... surely not that old or different if latest version I see is 1.5.2??

What GPU? Where? Gaming PC is RTX 4080. The cheap laptop I used to try and get EDID from projector and LG TV is some built GPU in, no idea - what difference does GPU in laptop make? I can't haul gigantic heavy gaming PC from upstairs office to downstairs living room to plug directly into projector.
I asked because 1.5.1 is over 3.5 years old and can't read all the extension blocks with NVIDIA GPUs, but I don't think that's the issue here. The GPU matters because CRU gets the extension blocks from the graphics driver, and it can only read extension blocks with AMD and NVIDIA GPUs because Intel wouldn't provide access to their SDK, so if the laptop has an Intel GPU, CRU can't read the extension blocks, which is where the 4K and HDR information would be. Further complicating this is newer HDMI displays have another way of defining extension blocks that CRU doesn't support yet, so there might be another extension block that CRU can't read, and NVIDIA's driver will ignore EDID overrides for displays with DSC if the pixel rate is beyond a certain point.

I have a new way of reading extension blocks that should work with Intel GPUs, but I can't easily integrate it into the current version of CRU because it's stuck on an old compiler because of the UI library, so I'm in the middle of rewriting CRU from scratch with better designed code so I can deliver all the updates and features that I've been wanting to add.

Run this and post the edid-dump.txt here: https://www.monitortests.com/edid-dump.zip