Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-19-2024, 11:43 PM (Last edited: 10-20-2024, 12:25 AM by Pizzanomicon)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Longtime user of CRU, thanks for your work. First time with an issue though.

I use CRU to tweak the range limit because I have a crappy AOC panel that has poor freesync implementation. Tweaking the ranges makes the flicker minimal.

If I change the the range limit and restart the driver, my nvidia control panel display settings are missing. Reset-all fixes this, and also so does a complete driver reinstallation. If I didn't need access to monitor color and other tweaks this probably wouldn't be an issue. Everything works fine otherwise. I'm just at a loss on how to continue troubleshooting this, other than adding a freesync range, which when I tried that it made my display go completely haywire, I can't even really describe what it was doing ( I've used freesync range before with no issues but usually not necessary,) anyway I had to physically disconnect it, restart the pc and then do a reset-all and it went back to normal.

I was hoping I could change the range limit then just do a driver reinstall but it resets everything, unless that's because I was using a custom resolution ( just using 143 hz instead of 144 ), but I don't think that's the case. Anyway, any insight would be super helpful.

Additional note. I can't remember if this is normal behavior for CRU but when I make an adjustment it makes an additional profile.

Update: For some reason if I use the manual windows hotkey combo to driver reset, and then restart the PC my NVCP display settings are still intact. Also to note that using this sequence did not create an additional monitor profile.

How mysterious.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2024, 03:23 AM
(10-19-2024 11:43 PM)Pizzanomicon Wrote:  If I change the the range limit and restart the driver, my nvidia control panel display settings are missing. Reset-all fixes this, and also so does a complete driver reinstallation.
This needs to be reported to NVIDIA because it's a bug in their driver. I don't know what conditions trigger the bug.

(10-19-2024 11:43 PM)Pizzanomicon Wrote:  I'm just at a loss on how to continue troubleshooting this, other than adding a freesync range, which when I tried that it made my display go completely haywire, I can't even really describe what it was doing ( I've used freesync range before with no issues but usually not necessary,) anyway I had to physically disconnect it, restart the pc and then do a reset-all and it went back to normal.
NVIDIA does not support the FreeSync data block, so I don't see how adding it would have any effect.

(10-19-2024 11:43 PM)Pizzanomicon Wrote:  Additional note. I can't remember if this is normal behavior for CRU but when I make an adjustment it makes an additional profile.
That's normal after running restart.exe because the basic display driver creates an entry.
(10-19-2024 05:13 PM)spoofy Wrote:  After using SRE and CRU I have gotten stretch res to work well on custom resolutions. but when trying to boot into safe mode or bios i cannot get anything to display. after resetting the pc it loads back into windows? any help would be greatly appreciated.
SRE and CRU would not affect safe mode or the BIOS. That's up to the GPU.
(10-16-2024 11:05 AM)Polytech Wrote:  Although there's nothing in official specs about 120hz or any hz at all, I saw some ppl testing it on 120hz for input lag on different forum. It supports 3D, some online shops specify that it supports 120hz.

But i'm certain it outputs 120hz because most DLP projectors can only output frequency of 60hz (the newer ones - frequencies divisible by 60 - 60,120,240). When you watch a movie, most of the time it has 23.976 fps and outputting it to the projector with 60hz you can clearly see the mismatch in fps/hz. Image has microstutters because some frames are repeated 2 times, and some of them 3 times. 120hz is divisible by 23.976 almost perfectly and the image is SMOOOOTH. Which i clearly see. That was the reason to buy and connect miniPC to the projector.
All I can suggest is try RGB vs. YCbCr 4:4:4 in the Intel graphics settings, and if that doesn't help, try CVT-RB timing. Beyond that, this is an issue with the projector's firmware not handling the resolution correctly, so maybe a slightly lower resolution would help.
10-20-2024, 03:32 AM
(10-20-2024 03:23 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-19-2024 11:43 PM)Pizzanomicon Wrote:  If I change the the range limit and restart the driver, my nvidia control panel display settings are missing. Reset-all fixes this, and also so does a complete driver reinstallation.
This needs to be reported to NVIDIA because it's a bug in their driver. I don't know what conditions trigger the bug.

(10-19-2024 11:43 PM)Pizzanomicon Wrote:  I'm just at a loss on how to continue troubleshooting this, other than adding a freesync range, which when I tried that it made my display go completely haywire, I can't even really describe what it was doing ( I've used freesync range before with no issues but usually not necessary,) anyway I had to physically disconnect it, restart the pc and then do a reset-all and it went back to normal.
NVIDIA does not support the FreeSync data block, so I don't see how adding it would have any effect.

(10-19-2024 11:43 PM)Pizzanomicon Wrote:  Additional note. I can't remember if this is normal behavior for CRU but when I make an adjustment it makes an additional profile.
That's normal after running restart.exe because the basic display driver creates an entry.

Thanks, I'll try to take some time this week to report it. I am using the most current driver, so you know how that goes.
10-22-2024, 12:02 PM
Hi guys just signing up to say I've noticed Windows now reporting 400 instead of 1000 like it was previously. Been using CRU since I got my G8 and it's been fine changing peak brightness, but doesn't seem to be working now.

Version 26100.2033 of Windows 11 and Nvidia Drivers 565.90.
10-23-2024, 01:52 PM
Anyone can help me to use CRU in my LGC3?

THE PROBLEM: I Cant set 3840x1600 120hz using CRU... just 60hz. Well i can set 120hz in nvidia, but C3 says: Hey You are in 2160p. In other words, the LGC3 does not recognize 3840x1600 @120hz, losing some functions of the TV's ultrawide game mode. In 60hz all things work fine.
I tried to use the "DDU" program but every time I reinstall the nvidia driver the resolution 3840x1600 ALWAYS appears in the resolutions list, so I can't change or create anything in CRU or i dont know how to do it. How do I delete native resolutions in the Nvidia driver?

If I try to edit a native resolution up there in CRU, I set 120hz and the text turns red as if I was doing something wrong. Can anyone help me? thx.
10-24-2024, 05:24 PM
(10-23-2024 01:52 PM)BearBR Wrote:  Anyone can help me to use CRU in my LGC3?

THE PROBLEM: I Cant set 3840x1600 120hz using CRU... just 60hz. Well i can set 120hz in nvidia, but C3 says: Hey You are in 2160p. In other words, the LGC3 does not recognize 3840x1600 @120hz, losing some functions of the TV's ultrawide game mode. In 60hz all things work fine.
I tried to use the "DDU" program but every time I reinstall the nvidia driver the resolution 3840x1600 ALWAYS appears in the resolutions list, so I can't change or create anything in CRU or i dont know how to do it. How do I delete native resolutions in the Nvidia driver?

If I try to edit a native resolution up there in CRU, I set 120hz and the text turns red as if I was doing something wrong. Can anyone help me? thx.
You can add 3840x1600 @ 120 Hz in a DisplayID extension block, and you can make 3840x1600 @ 60 Hz the first detailed resolution in the main window to make 3840x1600 the native resolution. If 3840x1600 still appears after using DDU, that means it's in the EDID somewhere.
10-24-2024, 05:24 PM
(10-22-2024 12:02 PM)Audioboxer Wrote:  Hi guys just signing up to say I've noticed Windows now reporting 400 instead of 1000 like it was previously. Been using CRU since I got my G8 and it's been fine changing peak brightness, but doesn't seem to be working now.
Well either NVIDIA's driver is ignoring the change or there's something else overriding it. What happens if you delete the HDR10+ data block? Have you tried the Windows HDR Calibration app?
Yesterday, 05:42 AM
(10-15-2024 07:56 AM)Merculian Wrote:  hello, help with my problem, if you can (black screen with two monitors)

hello, i partially decided the problem

now i connected two monitors on dp cables, i can turn on, turn off windows (think, firmware helper), all okay, but the BIOS, Animation Boot on the 2nd monitor))
to launch windows right need switch on the power on two monitors (no dp signal, before BIOS)

If i change cables in ports, BIOS will be on the 1st monitor, in Windows the 1st become 2nd, but primary)), the 2nd will be 1st

from nvidia i got nothing