Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-29-2024, 05:10 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(05-29-2024 12:42 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  CRU can't fix something like this. Return the laptop and get something else that works properly. People are claiming all sorts of magic solutions, so I don't know what the actual source of the problem is. There could be some software or driver installed by default that's causing the problem. I would try uninstalling any ASUS-specific software such as Armory Crate.

Ok thanks. I'm so desperate I was thinking maybe the G-Sync ranges were wrong in the monitor settings or things like that... Confused
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2024, 09:08 PM
(05-10-2024 10:40 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-07-2024 06:36 PM)letsgototesco Wrote:  oh i read all the posts and didn't see one that would help.... i dont care if the monitor accepts the input i just need CRU to set the resolution to 8k so how to i get it to do it ? thanks for the support so far
I don't think you read the first post. It tells you why the numbers turn red, and it has important information about the limitations of various interfaces. CRU can't create virtual resolutions, so even if you don't want the monitor to display the resolution, you are still limited by the port used. You probably won't be able to add 7680x4320 except at very low refresh rates that fit within the pixel clock limit for whatever port you're using.

port is HDMI 2.1 so if say i set it to 1 fps at 8k custom resolution and its still red it just means the software cant tell the monitor to do better
05-29-2024, 09:23 PM
(05-29-2024 09:08 PM)letsgototesco Wrote:  port is HDMI 2.1 so if say i set it to 1 fps at 8k custom resolution and its still red it just means the software cant tell the monitor to do better
Nope, you still didn't read.
05-30-2024, 08:53 AM
(05-29-2024 12:43 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I think both of you have the same problem with EDID overrides not taking effect. This needs to be reported to NVIDIA because it's an issue with their driver. One thing both displays have in common is they require Display Stream Compression (DSC) for the highest refresh rate at the native resolution with DisplayPort, so the driver might be ignoring EDID overrides when DSC is active. Neither display seems to use DSC for HDMI, but their refresh rates are also limited.

I'm experiencing the same problem with my MSI MPG 321URX and RTX 4090, can't increase the VRR range using CRU with both HDMI and DP connections.
06-01-2024, 12:11 AM
I am trying to remove 4k TV resolutions from my LG Ultragear PC monitor but no matter what I do the settings don't want to apply. After going through all the steps and restarting, the TV resolutions still appear in NCP.
06-01-2024, 01:03 AM
(06-01-2024 12:11 AM)Ocksy Wrote:  I am trying to remove 4k TV resolutions from my LG Ultragear PC monitor but no matter what I do the settings don't want to apply. After going through all the steps and restarting, the TV resolutions still appear in NCP.
What model is the monitor? Run this and post the test.txt here: https://www.monitortests.com/EDID-test.zip
06-01-2024, 02:10 AM
(06-01-2024 01:03 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-01-2024 12:11 AM)Ocksy Wrote:  I am trying to remove 4k TV resolutions from my LG Ultragear PC monitor but no matter what I do the settings don't want to apply. After going through all the steps and restarting, the TV resolutions still appear in NCP.
What model is the monitor? Run this and post the test.txt here: https://www.monitortests.com/EDID-test.zip

Model No. LG 34GS95QE

The monitor has TV mode and even though I don't have any device but my PC connected, certain games cause it to think I've connected a console and so it defaults to TV 4k 120hz and then causes some scaling issues when it goes back to native 1440p 240hz.

Attached File(s)
.txt  test.txt (Size: 37.21 KB / Downloads: 98)
06-01-2024, 02:59 AM
(06-01-2024 02:10 AM)Ocksy Wrote:  Model No. LG 34GS95QE

The monitor has TV mode and even though I don't have any device but my PC connected, certain games cause it to think I've connected a console and so it defaults to TV 4k 120hz and then causes some scaling issues when it goes back to native 1440p 240hz.
This needs to be reported to NVIDIA. Their driver seems to ignore EDID overrides when Display Stream Compression (DSC) is active. I see you tried both DisplayPort and HDMI. DisplayPort requires DSC for 3440x1440 @ 240 Hz. Technically DSC shouldn't be required for HDMI 2.1 at 48 Gbps, but for some reason it's active with this monitor. If the monitor has a way to turn off DSC, that might work around the problem.
06-01-2024, 03:25 AM
(06-01-2024 02:59 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-01-2024 02:10 AM)Ocksy Wrote:  Model No. LG 34GS95QE

This needs to be reported to NVIDIA. Their driver seems to ignore EDID overrides when Display Stream Compression (DSC) is active. I see you tried both DisplayPort and HDMI. DisplayPort requires DSC for 3440x1440 @ 240 Hz. Technically DSC shouldn't be required for HDMI 2.1 at 48 Gbps, but for some reason it's active with this monitor. If the monitor has a way to turn off DSC, that might work around the problem.

Thanks Toasty. I'll get to reporting it. I checked my menus and no way to disable DSC for HDMI 2.1. I don't have this issue with DP 1.4 but I get very bad VRR flicker. I guess I'll settle with flicker for now bc the scaling issue makes games look blurry.

And yes, I tried modifying the VRR range but that setting doesn't stick either. Seems no matter what I attempt to change is ignored by Nvidia.
06-03-2024, 05:30 PM
Hi, I have problem with one monitor (Eizo S2242W) that the resolution in Windows 11 is lower (1680x1050). Native resolution is 1920x1200. Problem is observed only when monitor is connected over docking station Dell WD19TB in Windows 11. Resolution in bios for that setup is correct.
I was trying to add additional standard resolution using CRU but didn't help.
Do you know where the problem is?