Monitor model not showing correctly at CRU
08-24-2024, 06:08 AM (Last edited: 08-24-2024, 06:13 AM by k1nzu)
Monitor model not showing correctly at CRU
Hi, today i connected a Sony CPD-G420 monitor to an RTX 2060 through a DP>VGA adapter. I'm on Windows 11 Home, Gigabyte B450 MB.
The monitor shows as "CM3316" instead of Sony or something related to the model number.
Is this normal or it could be something wrong with GPU drivers (546.33, i think i installed it with NVCleanInstall unchecking some options from an "optimization" guide)?
Otherwise i was able to generate custom resolutions but not reaching the max resolutions this monitor can achieve (maybe bad adaptor).
My Asus LCD appears as it model number: VG248.
I also noticed that in device manager both appear as Generic Monitor, Asus showing model number and Sony showing "CM 3316".

Thanks,

Phill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2024, 01:41 PM
RE: Monitor model not showing correctly at CRU
The adapter might be providing its own EDID if it can't be read from the monitor.
08-24-2024, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the fast response, i'll check later with another adapter.
Do you think a generic HDMI adapter work as well as a generic DP or is a major difference between them ?

I'm really enjoying 1:1 resolutions with this monitor, what timing do you recommend
to get the most out of it ? I've been trying Standard CVT only so far.
08-24-2024, 11:51 PM
That depends on the adapter. The best known adapters in terms of max bandwidth are DisplayPort (Sunix DPU3000, Delock 87685, and ICY BOX IB-SPL1031).

For some common resolutions such as 640x480/800x600/1024x768/1280x1024/1600x1200 @ 60/75/85 Hz, the monitor has a list of preset modes that are factory calibrated to display in the center with correct geometry when using VESA DMT timing. "Automatic CRT" uses VESA DMT for those modes. For anything else, the manual recommends GTF, but you can use any timing as long as it displays correctly.
08-25-2024, 06:23 PM
Thanks, everything worked ok with GFT and Automatic CRT, so no problems here.
Looking forward to buy one of those higher quality adaptors.

I just tested this CRT with VSync-On and VSync-FAST and OMG !!
My eyes can't believe what i'm seeing! It's so much better, like night and day.
Input lag is quite high though, time to read and set it up with ScanlineSync.