Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-25-2024, 02:03 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(06-25-2024 05:58 AM)jeffeh12133 Wrote:  Is it ok if i take the detailed resolution of 1080p @ 144hz listed under CTA-861 extension block and simply place it at the very top as a default/native detailed timing? I want to delete the max res (144hz 1080p) from the extension block and simply list it at the very top of the base EDID as the native resolution. Are there any downsides to doing this and do you recommend it? Is there a difference between the detailed resolution being in CTA-861 extension block or the native/preferred res? I want to end the confusion once and for all and simply use 144hz 1080p and not have any issues
You can do that, but it doesn't matter. You keep focusing on tweaking things that don't matter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2024, 05:40 PM (Last edited: 06-25-2024, 05:41 PM by jeffeh12133)
(06-25-2024 02:03 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-25-2024 05:58 AM)jeffeh12133 Wrote:  Is it ok if i take the detailed resolution of 1080p @ 144hz listed under CTA-861 extension block and simply place it at the very top as a default/native detailed timing? I want to delete the max res (144hz 1080p) from the extension block and simply list it at the very top of the base EDID as the native resolution. Are there any downsides to doing this and do you recommend it? Is there a difference between the detailed resolution being in CTA-861 extension block or the native/preferred res? I want to end the confusion once and for all and simply use 144hz 1080p and not have any issues
You can do that, but it doesn't matter. You keep focusing on tweaking things that don't matter.
idk man, my display is weird.

also off topic but i think i found a bug. when i use restart64.exe, device manager adds a ghost entry in device manager Monitors section (the same Generic PnP Monitor) but its greyed out. when i load moninfo to check my monitor details, under [real-time] display, everything is fine, but under [registry-active], it fails to load the EDID, Filter Driver shows "(Data Unavailable) for the registry-active display with the ghost monitor not deleted. However when i delete the ghost monitor from device manager monitors tab, then reload MonInfo to re-enumerate monitor details, the [registry-active] display info shows properly, loads the resolutions, and shows Filter Driver: EDID Override properly.
06-25-2024, 09:26 PM
(06-25-2024 05:40 PM)jeffeh12133 Wrote:  also off topic but i think i found a bug. when i use restart64.exe, device manager adds a ghost entry in device manager Monitors section (the same Generic PnP Monitor) but its greyed out. when i load moninfo to check my monitor details, under [real-time] display, everything is fine, but under [registry-active], it fails to load the EDID, Filter Driver shows "(Data Unavailable) for the registry-active display with the ghost monitor not deleted. However when i delete the ghost monitor from device manager monitors tab, then reload MonInfo to re-enumerate monitor details, the [registry-active] display info shows properly, loads the resolutions, and shows Filter Driver: EDID Override properly.
That's weird. Is that with "Show hidden devices" enabled in the "View" menu in Device Manager, or is it showing that by default? Running restart.exe is the same as disabling and then enabling the GPU in Device Manager to restart the graphics driver, so it's normal to have another grayed out monitor in the list because that's what is used by the basic display driver while the graphics driver is restarting, but normally Device Manager doesn't show grayed out monitors unless "Show hidden devices" is enabled, so if you're seeing that by default, then that indicates a driver issue somewhere. I haven't ever seen "(Data Unavailable)" in MonInfo, so I don't know what that means or why that would happen. Normally MonInfo doesn't list the monitor at all if there is no data for it. If you can use RegEdit to export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY to a file while it's happening and post it here, I can check if anything weird going on.
06-29-2024, 08:35 AM
Hi,
Sorry If this has been asked already, but is CRU working correctly with all Radeon 7000 series drivers?
I remember there was an issue back in 2022 and I don't know/couldn't find if it was addressed by AMD?
06-29-2024, 05:59 PM
(06-29-2024 08:35 AM)highrefreshrateenjoyer86 Wrote:  Sorry If this has been asked already, but is CRU working correctly with all Radeon 7000 series drivers?
I remember there was an issue back in 2022 and I don't know/couldn't find if it was addressed by AMD?
Yes, AMD fixed it a year ago with 23.7.1.
06-30-2024, 03:34 AM
anyone ever experience strobing after dicking around a little bit too much with cru? Confused

i noticed that my laptop would not display lower resolutions with custom refresh rates unless i turned off gpu scaling in radeon settings. but turning off gpu scaling resulted in the image being relegated to the topleft corner of my laptop screen, with terrific artifacts everywhere else. i pushed it even further by setting launch options for tf2 in steam to force a refresh rate of 75 (-refresh 75 -freq 75). after changing my ingame resolution back to my native resolution but still with a refresh rate of 75, disaster struck---from then on, my laptop screen has been strobing at any brightness above about 30%, most noticeable for things with a medium level of darkness (so not really noticeable on blacks or whites, but medium-dark greys and most colored images it is super noticeable). going into safe mode didn't seem to fix this. it doesn't appear to show up in the bios, but it's hard to say as it isn't the right colors to be able to see it very well. any suggestions?
06-30-2024, 05:49 PM
(06-30-2024 03:34 AM)carlshuntel82 Wrote:  i noticed that my laptop would not display lower resolutions with custom refresh rates unless i turned off gpu scaling in radeon settings. but turning off gpu scaling resulted in the image being relegated to the topleft corner of my laptop screen, with terrific artifacts everywhere else. i pushed it even further by setting launch options for tf2 in steam to force a refresh rate of 75 (-refresh 75 -freq 75). after changing my ingame resolution back to my native resolution but still with a refresh rate of 75, disaster struck---from then on, my laptop screen has been strobing at any brightness above about 30%, most noticeable for things with a medium level of darkness (so not really noticeable on blacks or whites, but medium-dark greys and most colored images it is super noticeable). going into safe mode didn't seem to fix this. it doesn't appear to show up in the bios, but it's hard to say as it isn't the right colors to be able to see it very well. any suggestions?
The strobing is something that happens with certain panels after displaying flickering patterns, which might have happened from the artifacts when you tried unsupported resolutions. It will go away slowly after several hours of using the screen. As noted in the first post, laptop screens usually can't display non-native resolutions without GPU scaling. You have to add the refresh rate at the native resolution with GPU scaling, but the ability to do so might be limited by the amount of bandwidth available. If 75 Hz works at the native resolution and you want a custom lower resolution with GPU scaling, you can add the lower resolution at any refresh rate, and it will use the refresh rates available at the native resolution.
07-01-2024, 03:53 AM
(06-30-2024 05:49 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-30-2024 03:34 AM)carlshuntel82 Wrote:  i noticed that my laptop would not display lower resolutions with custom refresh rates unless i turned off gpu scaling in radeon settings. but turning off gpu scaling resulted in the image being relegated to the topleft corner of my laptop screen, with terrific artifacts everywhere else. i pushed it even further by setting launch options for tf2 in steam to force a refresh rate of 75 (-refresh 75 -freq 75). after changing my ingame resolution back to my native resolution but still with a refresh rate of 75, disaster struck---from then on, my laptop screen has been strobing at any brightness above about 30%, most noticeable for things with a medium level of darkness (so not really noticeable on blacks or whites, but medium-dark greys and most colored images it is super noticeable). going into safe mode didn't seem to fix this. it doesn't appear to show up in the bios, but it's hard to say as it isn't the right colors to be able to see it very well. any suggestions?
The strobing is something that happens with certain panels after displaying flickering patterns, which might have happened from the artifacts when you tried unsupported resolutions. It will go away slowly after several hours of using the screen. As noted in the first post, laptop screens usually can't display non-native resolutions without GPU scaling. You have to add the refresh rate at the native resolution with GPU scaling, but the ability to do so might be limited by the amount of bandwidth available. If 75 Hz works at the native resolution and you want a custom lower resolution with GPU scaling, you can add the lower resolution at any refresh rate, and it will use the refresh rates available at the native resolution.
ah, I see. thank you for the info! is the strobing reflective of any panel damage would you say? it has gone down to an unnoticeable level with time as you said so I'm not worried, just curious
07-01-2024, 04:54 AM
(07-01-2024 03:53 AM)carlshuntel82 Wrote:  ah, I see. thank you for the info! is the strobing reflective of any panel damage would you say? it has gone down to an unnoticeable level with time as you said so I'm not worried, just curious
I don't know the technical reason for the strobing, but I've seen it triggered from flashing patterns on certain panels even at the native resolution, and it always goes away, so I doubt it's any sort of damage. Is it an LG panel (does the ID start with GSM or LGD)?
07-01-2024, 05:11 AM
(07-01-2024 04:54 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-01-2024 03:53 AM)carlshuntel82 Wrote:  ah, I see. thank you for the info! is the strobing reflective of any panel damage would you say? it has gone down to an unnoticeable level with time as you said so I'm not worried, just curious
I don't know the technical reason for the strobing, but I've seen it triggered from flashing patterns on certain panels even at the native resolution, and it always goes away, so I doubt it's any sort of damage. Is it an LG panel (does the ID start with GSM or LGD)?

I don't believe so. The specific panel is "auo329f" from AU optronics. Not sure if they're the actual OEM though. That's interesting though.

Thank you for making and maintaining CRU by the way! Gotten a lot of use out out of it over the past few years