Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-04-2024, 08:15 PM (Last edited: 07-04-2024, 08:18 PM by nikif002)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(07-04-2024 08:09 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-04-2024 06:07 PM)nikif002 Wrote:  I am having an issue where custom resolutions stopped "taking" for me. I am on Windows 11, Dell XPS 9510 laptop. Hooked up to a Dell U3011 through HDMI and a Dell USB-C multiport adapter.

The monitor has never properly exposed its native 2560x1600 resolution as long as I remember, and I have always had to use CRU.

Now I am newly unable to add resolutions. I can add the detailed resolution as before (screenshot attached), however no matter how many times I run restart.exe, the asterisk remains indicating it has not been saved, and Windows won't let me choose the new resolution.

Formerly I have had this exact problem when installing the Intel "Arc" or "Iris XE" drivers or whatever, but it was always fixed by uninstalling those drivers and reverting to using the default drivers from Windows. This is no longer the case. I have tried everything I can think of -- actual restarts, re-installing and uninstalling the latest Intel drivers, I tried the beta Intel Graphics Control Panel to change the resolution (that has never really worked). Any ideas? I would love to understand more about what is happening here so I can fix it not just this time, but if it ever happens again in the future.

EDIT: It works with 30hz instead of 60. Am I just high and that's what I've always used? I swear it used to work with 60hz. I wish I hadn't wiped my old resolutions in an attempt to fix this.
Ideally you should use DisplayPort to avoid having to add 2560x1600 manually because the monitor doesn't officially support 2560x1600 with HDMI even though it will work if you can add it. The * means it is saved. It would say "(restart required)" if it wasn't taking effect. The GPU is definitely capable, so the driver is ignoring the resolution for some reason. I don't know if Intel listens to this, but check the maximum TMDS clock in the HDMI data block in the CTA-861 extension block. It should be high enough to accommodate the pixel clock for the resolution you want. I recommend just putting 340 MHz because that's the standard maximum for HDMI 1.4.
That fixed it, thanks! I wonder what changed that it worked before. Maybe I was indeed just using a lower refresh rate. Good to know what the asterisk means, and why the monitor doesn't expose the proper resolution. Unfortunately I have to use HDMI because the monitor is hooked up to multiple computers and only has one DP port.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2024, 08:44 PM
(07-04-2024 05:13 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-04-2024 12:33 PM)DzigiBau Wrote:  @ToastyX

Would you please give me a hand here, I am not fully sure what is going on. I use CRU since my VRAM clock stucks at maximum and I used your settings from page 1 to make it work. My card here is GigaByte AMD/ATI R9 280 WindForce, which I connect to Asus monitor by passive MiniDisplay to HDMI adapter (DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 with HDMI 2.0 cable) and to my television using HDMI 1.4 cable. Resolution is 1920x1080 at 59.940 which I prefer as my favorite as a matter of taste.

1. In your instruction you say that we need to setup TMDS clock for AMD/ATI GPUs and I did it by clicking in Extension Blocks Field, CTA-861, HDMI and TDMS Clock was unticked, I enable it and it gives me 225Mhz as maximum. If I try to put higher value, it becomes grey and I cannot put anything. I change display mode to television only and there I check TDMS Clock and left 225Mhz. Is this normal or I need to do something more to increase it? For DP to HDMI connection to my Monitor, it is the same, but if I select it, after restart64.exe implementation it becomes unstable and returns back to unticked TDMS Clock, which I left that way.

2. For making VRAM drop down in idle, I use CVT-RB2 standard mode and it works for certain time, I have some desktop widget to follow GPU and VRAM clocks, but after a while it stucks again on VRAM maximum clock. My GPU has 300Mhz for GPU and 150Mhz for VRAM in idle, but it brings it to 510Mz for GPU and maximum 1250Mhz for VRAM which uses more power 30W additional, which I do not want. I do not play games, using computer for typing, browsing and youtube videos only. What can I do more to make VRAM goes to minimum 150Mhz and stopping using more power in idle mode? I use Windows 11 with latest 22.6.1 AMD driver for my GPU, there is no newer one. Old GPU, I know.

3. This one sounds very ridiculous. When I turn on PC, it sends same video signal to both, monitor and television, with old booting sequence, you remember white letters on black background and then start to load Windows. On monitor everything goes correctly, but on television I have vertical blue lines (instead of black background) which lasts until Windows loads and it becomes normal. If I open AMD Radeon Software (Adrenalin) and restart PC, then I have correct situation on television during booting, white letters on black background. What is the problem, I am not sure, cable is HDMI 1.4, newer one, good one, but booting sequence has vertical blue lines, some version of corrupted signal, low voltage or something if I do not open AMD Radeon Software settings. Is it possible to solve this one using one of your softwares?

Thank you for your work and time.
If you're using multiple monitors, all monitors need to be using the same resolution and refresh rate with the same exact timing parameters so the vertical blanking periods are synchronized. The R9 280 also has a special mode called UVD that's used when video acceleration is active, such as when playing videos in a browser, and the clocks will stay in this mode if anything is running with video acceleration active. Google "UVD clock bug" for more information. Sometimes it will also change the memory clock when it shouldn't, causing one or both of the screens to display garbage, which might be what's happening when it's booting. Honestly I consider that a design flaw with the first generation GCN GPUs. Newer GPUs don't have these issues, but you still have to make sure the monitors are synchronized. I don't know what you're talking about with the TMDS clock because CRU would never put in 225 MHz if it wasn't enabled already, and that has nothing to do with your issues anyway. That only affects what resolutions the driver will accept, but you don't need to do anything special for 1920x1080 @ 59.94 Hz since that's less than 165 MHz pixel clock.

Thank you ToastyX. I did what you said, put same resolution and refresh rate for both, monitor and television, put TMDS clock at 340Mhz, it allowed me today. It works, VRAM returns back to minimum in idle. I did not know about UVD clock bug and saw people are not getting it fixed, it is probably on AMD side. Just one small question, what is Supports ACP/ISRC option in HDMI settings. It comes turn on when I start CRU and I left it that way. I saw that was mentioned on the forum, but I could not find explanation what is that exactly, what is its purpose.
07-05-2024, 03:29 AM
(07-04-2024 08:44 PM)DzigiBau Wrote:  Thank you ToastyX. I did what you said, put same resolution and refresh rate for both, monitor and television, put TMDS clock at 340Mhz, it allowed me today. It works, VRAM returns back to minimum in idle. I did not know about UVD clock bug and saw people are not getting it fixed, it is probably on AMD side. Just one small question, what is Supports ACP/ISRC option in HDMI settings. It comes turn on when I start CRU and I left it that way. I saw that was mentioned on the forum, but I could not find explanation what is that exactly, what is its purpose.
ACP is audio content protection, and ISRC identifies what song is currently playing. Windows does not use this, so changing it would do nothing. This was intended for DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD players, so I don't think anything uses it anymore. The HDMI 2.0 specification doesn't even mention it.
07-07-2024, 05:04 PM
Hi @ToastyX,
Can you help me? I have a LG MR400-B monitor that sets the native resolution to 1080p@60Hz TV resolutions. I just want to create a PC resolution with a refresh rate of 60Hz. The monitor has 100Hz and 75Hz for 1080p in PC resolution, but since I like to play games at high quality, I prefer to lock the FPS at 60. That's why I'm looking for a full HD PC resolution with 60Hz.
What settings should I use for the PC resolution? CVT, Automatic PC, or Native PC?
07-07-2024, 05:32 PM
(07-07-2024 05:04 PM)Nekomera Wrote:  Hi @ToastyX,
Can you help me? I have a LG MR400-B monitor that sets the native resolution to 1080p@60Hz TV resolutions. I just want to create a PC resolution with a refresh rate of 60Hz. The monitor has 100Hz and 75Hz for 1080p in PC resolution, but since I like to play games at high quality, I prefer to lock the FPS at 60. That's why I'm looking for a full HD PC resolution with 60Hz.
What settings should I use for the PC resolution? CVT, Automatic PC, or Native PC?
Why does that matter? What's the difference between TV and PC resolutions?
07-07-2024, 06:57 PM
(07-07-2024 05:32 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Why does that matter? What's the difference between TV and PC resolutions?

TV resolutions have completely different brightness, contrast, and color compared to PC at least on my monitor. Also, there's a noise on the screen for example images and software with gray backgrounds have noise on TV like the image I sent with the post, but on PC even in custom 48Hz resolution, there's no noise at all. I deleted the 60Hz TV resolution and added a PC one, and the quality was excellent. However, every time I login into Windows, the screen would go black for 5-6 seconds, and it was the same before starting games. I uninstalled the driver with DDU and reinstalled it, and the problem was fixed. Now, I want to know what settings I should use when creating the resolution to avoid this issue.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-07-2024, 08:20 PM
(07-07-2024 06:57 PM)Nekomera Wrote:  TV resolutions have completely different brightness, contrast, and color compared to PC at least on my monitor. Also, there's a noise on the screen for example images and software with gray backgrounds have noise on TV like the image I sent with the post, but on PC even in custom 48Hz resolution, there's no noise at all.
That's something weird your monitor is doing. The reality is there is no difference between TV and PC resolutions other than the CTA-861 standard saying TVs should use certain timing parameters so there are no compatibility issues with other devices, but PC monitors can use them too. The color format can influence how the monitor processes the image. In the NVIDIA control panel, try changing the color format to RGB and dynamic range to full. That should be equivalent to a PC resolution. If that doesn't help, that means your monitor is messing with the image when receiving a CTA-861 standard resolution. Some TVs and monitors are stupid and treat CTA-861 standard resolutions differently when they shouldn't. I don't understand why manufacturers feel the need to mess with the image and make it worse when they think it's a TV signal. In that case, creating a custom resolution using the CVT-RB standard usually works around the issue. The screen shouldn't go black for 5 seconds when logging in. If that only happens after using CRU, then it's an NVIDIA driver bug. In the past, uninstalling GeForce experience would work around the problem, but I don't know if this is the same issue.
07-12-2024, 01:16 PM
Hi, I have an issue. I tried to create custom refresh rate, because LEGO Star Wars Complete Saga works only on 60hz monitors and on my 165hz it always displayed an error. I configured CRU and the game finally begun to work, but partially - the screen was all black, although I could hear the music. I discovered that all the other games also get blackscreened on startup. Any ideas how to fix this?
07-17-2024, 03:20 AM
(07-12-2024 01:16 PM)Olek0507 Wrote:  Hi, I have an issue. I tried to create custom refresh rate, because LEGO Star Wars Complete Saga works only on 60hz monitors and on my 165hz it always displayed an error. I configured CRU and the game finally begun to work, but partially - the screen was all black, although I could hear the music. I discovered that all the other games also get blackscreened on startup. Any ideas how to fix this?
Obviously the monitor doesn't support 60 Hz, and the other games are trying to use 60 Hz as well. If this is a laptop screen, 60 Hz might work if the pixel clock is around the same as 165 Hz. You can start by copying the 165 Hz timing parameters, and then change the timing to "Vertical total calculator" and set the refresh rate to 60 Hz.
07-19-2024, 05:30 AM
(07-17-2024 03:20 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-12-2024 01:16 PM)Olek0507 Wrote:  Hi, I have an issue. I tried to create custom refresh rate, because LEGO Star Wars Complete Saga works only on 60hz monitors and on my 165hz it always displayed an error. I configured CRU and the game finally begun to work, but partially - the screen was all black, although I could hear the music. I discovered that all the other games also get blackscreened on startup. Any ideas how to fix this?
Obviously the monitor doesn't support 60 Hz, and the other games are trying to use 60 Hz as well. If this is a laptop screen, 60 Hz might work if the pixel clock is around the same as 165 Hz. You can start by copying the 165 Hz timing parameters, and then change the timing to "Vertical total calculator" and set the refresh rate to 60 Hz.

Everything works! Thank You so much for the help. You deserve the world!