Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-01-2024, 06:16 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-01-2024 05:08 PM)Solid Wrote:  1) nVidia settings panel, doesn't allow me to set a custom resolution (it's grayed out). I have tried different things and none of them works. Thats the reason I ended up here, trying to use CRU to get custom resolution for my TV.

Reading the forum, I think that's because it's using DSC over HDMI 2.1 and DSC automatically disable custom resolution on nVidia panel?

2) If I want to output 1440p resolution, I can do it, but only at 100, 120 or 144 Hz on nVidia panel. It doesnt offer me and 60 Hz option, with has no sense as I can set 1080p@60 or 2160p@60 with no problem, but for some reason, no option to 60 Hz at 1440p.
NVIDIA's driver disables custom resolutions and EDID overrides when DSC is active if the pixel rate is beyond a certain point, and DSC can affect what resolutions and refresh rates are available. These are issues NVIDIA needs to resolve. The only way around this is to disable DSC. It's possible to disable DSC through the service menu by changing the firmware to S95B: https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/com...ay_stream/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2024, 07:02 PM (Last edited: 10-01-2024, 07:48 PM by ninjabyte587)
windows 11 24h2 is out now and it still displays refresh rates not defined in CRU.
disabled VRR in windows settings does not remedy this
10-06-2024, 04:00 PM
(10-01-2024 07:02 PM)ninjabyte587 Wrote:  windows 11 24h2 is out now and it still displays refresh rates not defined in CRU.
What about if you disable G-SYNC in the NVIDIA control panel? I think this might be related to quick media switching, which uses VRR/G-SYNC to add virtual refresh rates that can switch instantly without interrupting the video signal. There shouldn't be any way to do this if VRR/G-SYNC is disabled.
10-07-2024, 03:27 PM
Hi, I needed to reinstall windows and I ran into a bug again that causes a gray screen in front of the desktop, if you unplug the second monitor everything works fine. Somehow magically on the old system I bypassed this error by simply adding the 2 resolutions I wanted on the main CRU screen to the detailed resolution, and after a reboot everything worked as it should and no longer gave me any problems. Now it's not working, any suggestions on what can be done about this once and for all?
main 1440p165 displayport
second 1080p60 dvi-hdmi
rtx 4070ti super
10-08-2024, 09:21 PM (Last edited: 10-08-2024, 09:22 PM by ShodanCat)
(10-06-2024 04:00 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-01-2024 07:02 PM)ninjabyte587 Wrote:  windows 11 24h2 is out now and it still displays refresh rates not defined in CRU.
What about if you disable G-SYNC in the NVIDIA control panel? I think this might be related to quick media switching, which uses VRR/G-SYNC to add virtual refresh rates that can switch instantly without interrupting the video signal. There shouldn't be any way to do this if VRR/G-SYNC is disabled.

i can confirm the strange refresh rate behavior with 24H2. normally i remove everything but 1920x1080@120, 2560x1440@120 and 3840x2160@120 on my LG OLED (which i have been doing for a couple years now.) but now after doing the same (fresh install of Windows and Nvidia driver) Nvidia Control Panel shows 120hz correctly, but the display is actually running at 60hz. i have to fiddle around with changing resolutions and/or clicking the refresh rate (even though only 120hz is displayed in NVCP) to get it to actually operate at 120hz.

i also had a strange bug where the display was operating at 120hz, but the desktop was updating at 60hz.

basically it's just all kinds of messed up right now - i assume this is "just how it is" with Windows 11 going forward with 24H2 so CRU might need an update to address whatever MS has added with refresh rate reporting
10-09-2024, 12:41 AM
(10-08-2024 09:21 PM)ShodanCat Wrote:  i can confirm the strange refresh rate behavior with 24H2. normally i remove everything but 1920x1080@120, 2560x1440@120 and 3840x2160@120 on my LG OLED (which i have been doing for a couple years now.) but now after doing the same (fresh install of Windows and Nvidia driver) Nvidia Control Panel shows 120hz correctly, but the display is actually running at 60hz. i have to fiddle around with changing resolutions and/or clicking the refresh rate (even though only 120hz is displayed in NVCP) to get it to actually operate at 120hz.

i also had a strange bug where the display was operating at 120hz, but the desktop was updating at 60hz.

basically it's just all kinds of messed up right now - i assume this is "just how it is" with Windows 11 going forward with 24H2 so CRU might need an update to address whatever MS has added with refresh rate reporting
You're talking about a different issue. There are three settings of interest:

1. Dynamic refresh rate in the Windows advanced display settings: make sure this is disabled or it will reduce the refresh rate using G-SYNC/VRR to save power
2. Variable refresh rate in the Windows graphics settings: normally this should be enabled if G-SYNC/VRR is enabled in the NVIDIA control panel
3. G-SYNC/VRR in the NVIDIA control panel: this is where you can enable/disable G-SYNC/VRR

If dynamic refresh rate is disabled and 120 Hz is acting like 60 Hz, then it's an NVIDIA driver bug.
10-09-2024, 12:42 AM
(10-07-2024 03:27 PM)topmeme Wrote:  Hi, I needed to reinstall windows and I ran into a bug again that causes a gray screen in front of the desktop, if you unplug the second monitor everything works fine. Somehow magically on the old system I bypassed this error by simply adding the 2 resolutions I wanted on the main CRU screen to the detailed resolution, and after a reboot everything worked as it should and no longer gave me any problems. Now it's not working, any suggestions on what can be done about this once and for all?
main 1440p165 displayport
second 1080p60 dvi-hdmi
rtx 4070ti super
The answer is still the same. You need to report the issue to NVIDIA because it's a bug in their driver. Last time you said you deleted all the extension blocks and added a VTB extension block to work around the problem.
10-09-2024, 12:47 AM (Last edited: 10-09-2024, 01:12 AM by ShodanCat)
(10-09-2024 12:41 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-08-2024 09:21 PM)ShodanCat Wrote:  i can confirm the strange refresh rate behavior with 24H2. normally i remove everything but 1920x1080@120, 2560x1440@120 and 3840x2160@120 on my LG OLED (which i have been doing for a couple years now.) but now after doing the same (fresh install of Windows and Nvidia driver) Nvidia Control Panel shows 120hz correctly, but the display is actually running at 60hz. i have to fiddle around with changing resolutions and/or clicking the refresh rate (even though only 120hz is displayed in NVCP) to get it to actually operate at 120hz.

You're talking about a different issue. There are three settings of interest:

1. Dynamic refresh rate in the Windows advanced display settings: make sure this is disabled or it will reduce the refresh rate using G-SYNC/VRR to save power
2. Variable refresh rate in the Windows graphics settings: normally this should be enabled if G-SYNC/VRR is enabled in the NVIDIA control panel
3. G-SYNC/VRR in the NVIDIA control panel: this is where you can enable/disable G-SYNC/VRR

If dynamic refresh rate is disabled and 120 Hz is acting like 60 Hz, then it's an NVIDIA driver bug.
i'm not talking about VRR/Gsync at all. i'm referring to how Windows (in settings -> display -> advanced display) is still showing all the default LG C4 refresh rates as selectable, even though the only resolutions I have in CRU are 120hz. this is the same Nvidia driver i was just using with 23h2 as of this morning, which does not show anything but 120hz with my CRU settings. dynamic refresh rate is not enabled. VRR in Windows 'graphics' settings is enabled (as always), Gsync is enabled in NVCP (as always.)

edit: ok, so i've just figured out that the "refresh rates" that are listed in settings -> display -> advanced display are no longer referring to actual refresh rate (i.e. as denominated by EDID resolutions) but literally a framerate cap, like capping framerate in a game with VRR enabled. in other words, the LG hidden "vrr information" menu displays ~60hz @ 3840x2160 @ 120hz when "60hz" is selected there while 120hz is selected in NVCP. that's kind of wild, i hadn't heard about this feature of 24h2 at all.

edit2: ok, so that's not *quite* right either... i think the refresh rates listed in Advanced display *are* supposed to be from EDID, but going back to what i originally said, it's showing them despite only 120hz being available via CRU. the dynamic refresh rate will cap "framerate" using VRR only at 120hz or higher, and at 120hz for example it will switch between either 60fps or 120fps, but if you select 100hz (which, again, i shouldn't even be able to do right now...) there's a message that that refresh does not support dynamic refresh.

clear as mud, right?
10-09-2024, 02:32 AM
(10-09-2024 12:47 AM)ShodanCat Wrote:  i'm not talking about VRR/Gsync at all. i'm referring to how Windows (in settings -> display -> advanced display) is still showing all the default LG C4 refresh rates as selectable, even though the only resolutions I have in CRU are 120hz. this is the same Nvidia driver i was just using with 23h2 as of this morning, which does not show anything but 120hz with my CRU settings. dynamic refresh rate is not enabled. VRR in Windows 'graphics' settings is enabled (as always), Gsync is enabled in NVCP (as always.)

edit: ok, so i've just figured out that the "refresh rates" that are listed in settings -> display -> advanced display are no longer referring to actual refresh rate (i.e. as denominated by EDID resolutions) but literally a framerate cap, like capping framerate in a game with VRR enabled. in other words, the LG hidden "vrr information" menu displays ~60hz @ 3840x2160 @ 120hz when "60hz" is selected there while 120hz is selected in NVCP. that's kind of wild, i hadn't heard about this feature of 24h2 at all.

edit2: ok, so that's not *quite* right either... i think the refresh rates listed in Advanced display *are* supposed to be from EDID, but going back to what i originally said, it's showing them despite only 120hz being available via CRU. the dynamic refresh rate will cap "framerate" using VRR only at 120hz or higher, and at 120hz for example it will switch between either 60fps or 120fps, but if you select 100hz (which, again, i shouldn't even be able to do right now...) there's a message that that refresh does not support dynamic refresh.

clear as mud, right?
I mentioned quick media switching. Isn't that what's happening? It's using G-SYNC/VRR to create virtual refresh rates. Does disabling G-SYNC/VRR remove the refresh rates?
10-09-2024, 03:07 AM
(10-09-2024 02:32 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-09-2024 12:47 AM)ShodanCat Wrote:  i'm not talking about VRR/Gsync at all. i'm referring to how Windows (in settings -> display -> advanced display) is still showing all the default LG C4 refresh rates as selectable, even though the only resolutions I have in CRU are 120hz. this is the same Nvidia driver i was just using with 23h2 as of this morning, which does not show anything but 120hz with my CRU settings. dynamic refresh rate is not enabled. VRR in Windows 'graphics' settings is enabled (as always), Gsync is enabled in NVCP (as always.)

clear as mud, right?
I mentioned quick media switching. Isn't that what's happening? It's using G-SYNC/VRR to create virtual refresh rates. Does disabling G-SYNC/VRR remove the refresh rates?

i don't know - was there talk of 24H2 doing away with regular refresh rate selection in favor of "virtual refresh rates" with VRR? i never heard anything about that. if so that's a huge change in display behavior in Windows.