Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-31-2024, 09:46 PM (Last edited: 07-31-2024, 09:49 PM by HarryMuscle)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
I'm trying to change the refresh rate on my 3 Dell U2415 monitors from 59.95Hz to 60Hz to sync up correctly with frame rate limiters and remove stutters that occur when these two aren't in sync.

So far I've tried the following:

- edit the existing Detailed Resolution in CRU to use a different refresh rate (tried 60, 55, and 50Hz)
- add a second Detailed Resolution in CRU with various resolutions and refresh rates
- remove all other resolutions and only leave the one Detailed Resolution with my desired resolution and 60, 55, and 50Hz refresh rates

Between all of the above items I rebooted and went into Windows 10 Settings -> System -> Display -> Advanced Display Settings to see if the resolution and/or refresh changes were available. When I realized that they were not available I reverted the changes, rebooted, and tried the next item.

After the last item I tried deleting the following registry key to see if I can get Windows to recreate the driver configuration related to the monitors
Code:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Con​​figuration
but they were recreated with the monitors default refresh rate of 59.95 and not the 60/55/50Hz that the EDIT override is asking for.

It seems that no matter what I try or do Windows 10 is just completely refusing to honor the EDID overrrides that the CRU utility is implementing.

Is this a known issue? In case it matters I'm running Windows 10 21H2 with a Nvidia RTX 4070 Super GPU with driver version 555.99 connected to 3 Dell U2415 monitors.

Thanks,
Harry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2024, 10:02 AM
Is there any hope running 4K@120Hz (with a lower chroma) via HDMI 2.0b on an AMD GPU (5700XT) without the VRAM clock speed maxing out all the time? I can use the resolution fine by enabling 4:2:0 resolutions in the CTA data block.

If it matters, I'm using a 4k TV as a monitor (TCL C845).
08-01-2024, 03:15 PM
(08-01-2024 10:02 AM)tclgamer2121 Wrote:  Is there any hope running 4K@120Hz (with a lower chroma) via HDMI 2.0b on an AMD GPU (5700XT) without the VRAM clock speed maxing out all the time? I can use the resolution fine by enabling 4:2:0 resolutions in the CTA data block.
That should not cause the memory clock to max out. Do you have any other displays connected? If not, that would be an AMD driver bug or limitation with the GPU.
08-02-2024, 09:30 AM
(08-01-2024 03:15 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-01-2024 10:02 AM)tclgamer2121 Wrote:  Is there any hope running 4K@120Hz (with a lower chroma) via HDMI 2.0b on an AMD GPU (5700XT) without the VRAM clock speed maxing out all the time? I can use the resolution fine by enabling 4:2:0 resolutions in the CTA data block.
That should not cause the memory clock to max out. Do you have any other displays connected? If not, that would be an AMD driver bug or limitation with the GPU.

No other displays and yes reading online its a GPU limitation. I was hoping I could get around with *just* the right timings.
08-03-2024, 09:42 AM
I want to thank C.R.U. I have a Samsung LS22FS350FM monitor. I had a crash during the firmware update, I managed to recover the monitor(remove relating chip from board, put correct rom file in it and reinstall chip to board with soldering) but my computer started to see my monitor as an Acer or Asus 27 inch and only with 1024x768 and 800x600 resolutions. Samsung did not help me to go back to the previous firmware driver. The current firmware was not reinstalling because of the same version check. I tried everything, all the driver uninstallers, all the driver finders and installers, both for display adapters and monitors, nothing worked until I found C.R.U. Thank you very much.
08-05-2024, 10:58 PM (Last edited: 08-06-2024, 12:10 AM by kurtdh)
Can anyone help? I have a FO32U2P 4k 240hz OLED monitor. In display settings I have my desktop successfully set to 4k 240hz, however when I load CRU 1.5.2, my monitor isn't listing any 240hz modes. Screenshot is attached. How can I have it detect a 240hz mode so I can edit it correctly?

https://imgur.com/a/hF85tHQ

EDIT: I figured out using a DisplayPort cable instead of a HDMI 2.1 now shows "Display ID 1.3: 1 data block" under extension blocks and properly shows the 4k 240hz resolution. How come CRU detects it properly with a DisplayPort cable but not an HDMI 2.1 cable? I would much prefer to use HDMI 2.1, so if any of you could provide assistance or a fix to have it detect properly with HDMI 2.1?
08-06-2024, 01:19 AM
(08-05-2024 10:58 PM)kurtdh Wrote:  Can anyone help? I have a FO32U2P 4k 240hz OLED monitor. In display settings I have my desktop successfully set to 4k 240hz, however when I load CRU 1.5.2, my monitor isn't listing any 240hz modes. Screenshot is attached. How can I have it detect a 240hz mode so I can edit it correctly?

EDIT: I figured out using a DisplayPort cable instead of a HDMI 2.1 now shows "Display ID 1.3: 1 data block" under extension blocks and properly shows the 4k 240hz resolution. How come CRU detects it properly with a DisplayPort cable but not an HDMI 2.1 cable? I would much prefer to use HDMI 2.1, so if any of you could provide assistance or a fix to have it detect properly with HDMI 2.1?
The issue is there is a hidden extension block because of the extension override data block that HDMI 2.1 introduced, which complicates extension block handling because now there are two places to determine the extension block count. Last time I looked into implementing this, NVIDIA's driver was broken and wasn't reporting the EDID correctly, which complicated matters. That issue might have been fixed since you can read the first extension block, but last I heard, NVIDIA's driver has another issue that causes EDID overrides to be ignored if display stream compression is active, which 4K @ 240 Hz would require. I do plan to implement the extension override data block, but I don't have the hardware to test if any of this is fixed.

It will help if I can see what the driver is reporting. Run this and post the test.txt here: https://www.monitortests.com/EDID-test.zip
08-06-2024, 03:51 AM
(08-06-2024 01:19 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-05-2024 10:58 PM)kurtdh Wrote:  Can anyone help? I have a FO32U2P 4k 240hz OLED monitor. In display settings I have my desktop successfully set to 4k 240hz, however when I load CRU 1.5.2, my monitor isn't listing any 240hz modes. Screenshot is attached. How can I have it detect a 240hz mode so I can edit it correctly?

The issue is there is a hidden extension block because of the extension override data block that HDMI 2.1 introduced, which complicates extension block handling because now there are two places to determine the extension block count. Last time I looked into implementing this, NVIDIA's driver was broken and wasn't reporting the EDID correctly, which complicated matters. That issue might have been fixed since you can read the first extension block, but last I heard, NVIDIA's driver has another issue that causes EDID overrides to be ignored if display stream compression is active, which 4K @ 240 Hz would require. I do plan to implement the extension override data block, but I don't have the hardware to test if any of this is fixed.

It will help if I can see what the driver is reporting. Run this and post the test.txt here: https://www.monitortests.com/EDID-test.zip

It's attached.

I can't seem to get CRU to work even with DisplayPort. If I double click on display id 1.3 in extension blocks, double click detailed resolutions, select 3840x2160 @ 239.999 Hz (the resolution/hertz my Windows desktop is using). Then I change the hertz to some random number like 88. I click OK three times to exit CRU, I run restart64.exe, but my Windows desktop remains at 240hz. Am I doing something wrong, or are you saying that CRU doesn't work with my monitor? (Aorus FO32U2P)?

Attached File(s)
.txt  test.txt (Size: 43.47 KB / Downloads: 43)
08-06-2024, 04:33 AM
(08-06-2024 03:51 AM)kurtdh Wrote:  I can't seem to get CRU to work even with DisplayPort. If I double click on display id 1.3 in extension blocks, double click detailed resolutions, select 3840x2160 @ 239.999 Hz (the resolution/hertz my Windows desktop is using). Then I change the hertz to some random number like 88. I click OK three times to exit CRU, I run restart64.exe, but my Windows desktop remains at 240hz. Am I doing something wrong, or are you saying that CRU doesn't work with my monitor? (Aorus FO32U2P)?
I'm saying NVIDIA ignores any changes for monitors with display stream compression (DSC). NVIDIA also doesn't support custom resolutions or DSR/DLDSR with DSC. This is something NVIDIA would need to fix, so at this point adding support for the extension override data block wouldn't make a difference other than being able to see the data.

I need to see the test.txt with the monitor connected to HDMI so I can see the extension blocks. Then I can give you a file with the extension block not hidden.
08-06-2024, 05:45 AM
(08-06-2024 04:33 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-06-2024 03:51 AM)kurtdh Wrote:  I can't seem to get CRU to work even with DisplayPort. If I double click on display id 1.3 in extension blocks, double click detailed resolutions, select 3840x2160 @ 239.999 Hz (the resolution/hertz my Windows desktop is using). Then I change the hertz to some random number like 88. I click OK three times to exit CRU, I run restart64.exe, but my Windows desktop remains at 240hz. Am I doing something wrong, or are you saying that CRU doesn't work with my monitor? (Aorus FO32U2P)?
I'm saying NVIDIA ignores any changes for monitors with display stream compression (DSC). NVIDIA also doesn't support custom resolutions or DSR/DLDSR with DSC. This is something NVIDIA would need to fix, so at this point adding support for the extension override data block wouldn't make a difference other than being able to see the data.

I need to see the test.txt with the monitor connected to HDMI so I can see the extension blocks. Then I can give you a file with the extension block not hidden.

Ok here is test with HDMI connected to the FO32U2P. So you're saying any monitor that uses DSC won't work with CRU at all? I didn't know that was a limitation. What good is this file to you if you can't fix it? Just so I can see info but not change it?

Attached File(s)
.txt  test.txt (Size: 21.75 KB / Downloads: 34)