Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-20-2024, 11:19 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello, a question. I have a 1920x1080 165Hz monitor but it has micro tearing on the desktop, browser, etc. I'm using CRU to add the same resolution and refresh rate and using Exact Reduced and I think the tearing is fixed but I'm wondering. Is there any risk in using Exact Reduced permanently? I don't quite understand what it is for and if I should use it for my native resolution at 165hz and so on. Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2024, 05:47 AM (Last edited: 07-22-2024, 05:52 AM by Dreams-Visions)
Hi all! First of all, thank you ToastyX for the amazing tool. It's taken care of me and my LG G1 connected to my PC for years. I'm asking for a bit of guidance in advance of purchase. I'm going to pick up a Sony A95L 4K TV and I'd like to set it up with 21:9 resolution options like I have for my G1. It will be connecting to a Windows 11 PC running a 4090, so retaining its 120Hz refresh rate and HDR are critical.

Unfortunately, it's been so long I don't remember how I did all this and and I assume my profiles for my C1 won't be correct for the Sony. Is there a tutorial out there you'd recommend for correctly creating a given custom resolution (in my case, I'd like to create 3840x1600 and 3840x1646)? If not, would anyone be able to assist? Some of the finer points (like the Detailed resolution timing settings, parameters, and frequency settings as well as the extension block settings and how those vary from one make and model to another). The opening post in the thread was helpful but I still get a bit lost. I've searched long and wide for any A95L owners on earth who have already done this (so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel) but have come up empty (surprising given how long the TV has been on the market).

Thank you!
07-22-2024, 01:29 PM (Last edited: 07-22-2024, 01:33 PM by morbit)
Hi, i have a 1920x1080 144hz monitor connected with DP cable, and i play CS, VALO mostly , the problem is i have 1920x1080 144hz in detailed resolutions but at the extension block section there is only 1920x1080 120hz and 100hz as native and not 144hz, is this normal?

well i have to mention this is only hapenning with DP and not HDMI i also notice that my gaming performance is better with HDMI cable , less delay and desync!
07-22-2024, 03:07 PM
(07-22-2024 01:29 PM)morbit Wrote:  Hi, i have a 1920x1080 144hz monitor connected with DP cable, and i play CS, VALO mostly , the problem is i have 1920x1080 144hz in detailed resolutions but at the extension block section there is only 1920x1080 120hz and 100hz as native and not 144hz, is this normal?
Why would this be a problem? I don't understand.
07-22-2024, 03:08 PM
(07-22-2024 05:47 AM)Dreams-Visions Wrote:  Hi all! First of all, thank you ToastyX for the amazing tool. It's taken care of me and my LG G1 connected to my PC for years. I'm asking for a bit of guidance in advance of purchase. I'm going to pick up a Sony A95L 4K TV and I'd like to set it up with 21:9 resolution options like I have for my G1. It will be connecting to a Windows 11 PC running a 4090, so retaining its 120Hz refresh rate and HDR are critical.

Unfortunately, it's been so long I don't remember how I did all this and and I assume my profiles for my C1 won't be correct for the Sony. Is there a tutorial out there you'd recommend for correctly creating a given custom resolution (in my case, I'd like to create 3840x1600 and 3840x1646)? If not, would anyone be able to assist? Some of the finer points (like the Detailed resolution timing settings, parameters, and frequency settings as well as the extension block settings and how those vary from one make and model to another). The opening post in the thread was helpful but I still get a bit lost. I've searched long and wide for any A95L owners on earth who have already done this (so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel) but have come up empty (surprising given how long the TV has been on the market).
Stop thinking so hard and just add the resolution. Even easier, just use this: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...Editor-SRE
07-22-2024, 03:08 PM
(07-20-2024 11:19 PM)fabriga Wrote:  Hello, a question. I have a 1920x1080 165Hz monitor but it has micro tearing on the desktop, browser, etc. I'm using CRU to add the same resolution and refresh rate and using Exact Reduced and I think the tearing is fixed but I'm wondering. Is there any risk in using Exact Reduced permanently? I don't quite understand what it is for and if I should use it for my native resolution at 165hz and so on. Thank you
There shouldn't be tearing on the desktop. That means there's either a problem with the graphics driver or the monitor is faulty. "Exact reduced" just reduces the time between lines and frames, which isn't important with digital displays, so as long as it displays correctly, there shouldn't be a problem, but you shouldn't have to do this.
07-23-2024, 03:59 AM
(07-22-2024 03:08 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-22-2024 05:47 AM)Dreams-Visions Wrote:  Hi all! First of all, thank you ToastyX for the amazing tool. It's taken care of me and my LG G1 connected to my PC for years. I'm asking for a bit of guidance in advance of purchase. I'm going to pick up a Sony A95L 4K TV and I'd like to set it up with 21:9 resolution options like I have for my G1. It will be connecting to a Windows 11 PC running a 4090, so retaining its 120Hz refresh rate and HDR are critical.

Stop thinking so hard and just add the resolution. Even easier, just use this: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...Editor-SRE
yes sir. lol

If I run into any issues, I know where to come. Big Grin
07-23-2024, 06:40 PM
Hello. I used cru to lower pixel clock and be able to do 240hz with a gtx670 (has a pixel clock cap) to use on my aoc 240hz monitor. I did an exact reduced resolution for that.
Now that i changed to a 4070s do i need to do anything? Is it still using the exact reduced? Should i reset-all.exe? Thanks.
07-23-2024, 09:20 PM
(07-23-2024 06:40 PM)Ojisan Wrote:  Hello. I used cru to lower pixel clock and be able to do 240hz with a gtx670 (has a pixel clock cap) to use on my aoc 240hz monitor. I did an exact reduced resolution for that.
Now that i changed to a 4070s do i need to do anything? Is it still using the exact reduced? Should i reset-all.exe? Thanks.
CRU shows you if an override is saved for a monitor. If there's a "*" next to the active monitor in the list, that means an override is in effect. If it's next to an inactive monitor, that's the old monitor entry. Usually changing video cards creates a new monitor entry, so the old changes won't affect the new entry, but the old entry will still be there unless you used DDU to uninstall the graphics driver. If it's still there, you can delete the old entry in CRU using the "Delete" button at the top, or you can run reset-all.exe to reset everything.
07-26-2024, 07:00 AM
(07-22-2024 03:08 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  

Just wanted to update that this worked perfectly. All my preferred custom resolutions on my Sony TV with the full refresh rate options and HDR. Thank you again.