Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
05-27-2024, 08:01 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(05-27-2024 07:33 AM)clearlygg Wrote:  I used custom resolution, to try and overclock my hz; slightly over; next thing I see to do is restart my monitor, so I did; I tried going from 144 to 165; (note I am new to this, probably fucked something up but didn't know) next thing I see is.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/9...9e8dacfc0&

any idea how to fix? I can't even get to the login thing, that's literally all i see..
Boot Windows in safe mode and run reset-all.exe.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2024, 09:05 AM (Last edited: 05-27-2024, 12:56 PM by exsinner)
How does one edit the range of vrr? Im using an nvidia card and my monitor is MSI MAG 321UPX. By default the range is 48Hz-240Hz. I've edit the range to 120-240 but it seems like my system ignores it even after a full system restart. I've tried both DP and HDMI. For hdmi, i cant go higher than 48 for the minimum, it turns red when i try to change it any higher.

I want to run it at 120-240 because the vrr flicker is getting annoying. There are some games that acts erratically pushing the vrr range from 59 spiked up to 240 randomly even if the game is locked at 60fps using RTSS with stable frame time.

Edit: Nevermind, i figured it out, i didnt change my monitor ID. BTW, is HDMI vrr range not editable?
Edit: It doesnt work again, i dont know why..
05-27-2024, 02:04 PM
(05-27-2024 09:05 AM)exsinner Wrote:  How does one edit the range of vrr? Im using an nvidia card and my monitor is MSI MAG 321UPX. By default the range is 48Hz-240Hz. I've edit the range to 120-240 but it seems like my system ignores it even after a full system restart. I've tried both DP and HDMI. For hdmi, i cant go higher than 48 for the minimum, it turns red when i try to change it any higher.

I want to run it at 120-240 because the vrr flicker is getting annoying. There are some games that acts erratically pushing the vrr range from 59 spiked up to 240 randomly even if the game is locked at 60fps using RTSS with stable frame time.

Edit: Nevermind, i figured it out, i didnt change my monitor ID. BTW, is HDMI vrr range not editable?
HDMI 2.1 VRR minimum can't be higher than 48, so you need to use DisplayPort. NVIDIA's driver has issues with EDID overrides for some monitors on RTX 3000/4000-series cards. You shouldn't need to change the monitor ID. Run this and post the test.txt file here so I can see how the monitor is defining the VRR range: https://www.monitortests.com/EDID-test.zip
05-28-2024, 06:48 AM (Last edited: 05-28-2024, 06:48 AM by Woundman)
Hi ToastyX,

I'm trying to remove all non-native resolutions on my AW2725DF monitor using DisplayPort. Unfortunately, when I use DisplayPort, the removed resolutions are ignored. HDMI works perfectly when I remove resolutions. Here is my EDID-test file ( https://pastebin.com/qneg3JiN ). Really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Woundman
05-28-2024, 07:07 AM (Last edited: 05-28-2024, 09:35 AM by exsinner)
(05-27-2024 02:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-27-2024 09:05 AM)exsinner Wrote:  How does one edit the range of vrr? Im using an nvidia card and my monitor is MSI MAG 321UPX. By default the range is 48Hz-240Hz. I've edit the range to 120-240 but it seems like my system ignores it even after a full system restart. I've tried both DP and HDMI. For hdmi, i cant go higher than 48 for the minimum, it turns red when i try to change it any higher.

HDMI 2.1 VRR minimum can't be higher than 48, so you need to use DisplayPort. NVIDIA's driver has issues with EDID overrides for some monitors on RTX 3000/4000-series cards. You shouldn't need to change the monitor ID. Run this and post the test.txt file here so I can see how the monitor is defining the VRR range: https://www.monitortests.com/EDID-test.zip
I've tried to lower the range to 90-240Hz but its stll the same.
I've attached the test file, you can ignore my secondary display edid.

Attached File(s)
.txt  test.txt (Size: 15.53 KB / Downloads: 82)
05-28-2024, 01:50 PM
(03-14-2016 12:29 AM)Superkaps Wrote:  Optoma hd37 120hz @ 1080p. Plus 1080p 3d @ 60hz an eye using frame sequential for gaming. Works perfectly in windows 10 and Rise of theTomb Raider with latest patch.

Hi i was able to use cru.exe to create a detailed resolution for 1080p@120hz for this awesome projctor. Im running windows 10 with the latest crimson drivers 16.3 with my amd 290x over hdmi. Seriously this works amazing considering 120hz was locked before. Interestingly i was able to get Rise of the Tomb Raider to run @ 120hz and in 3d using the frame sequential 3d setting on the projector. This allows 60fp and full 1080p resolution in each eye in 3d. Awesome! Also windows stays at 120hz. Windows also sees the the projector as 3d.

How did i do it. Many thanks to all the posters and Toasty of course. You guys are the best!
Instructions.
1. I exported my projector info to a optomahd37.inf file using moninfo.exe
2. I disabled driver signing in windows 10 and then installed my projector.inf file over default monitor in device manager
3. I used cru to import my optoma37.inf file.
4. I defined a detailed resolution for 1080p@120hz and use the lcd reduced timing in cru
5. I also added a custom extension block. I added another 1080p@120hz resolution there with LCD reduced timing. I also added hdmi support below that with audio.
6. I restarted the driver and then rebooted.

Files I used are attached to this post. 3d 120hz optoma.bin is the cru file you can import. Remember to restart afterwards.

Windows started @60hz 1080p. I then went to display settings and hit detect. Screen flashed. I noticed in advanced display settings for the monitor 120hz was available. Selected it of course - Works perfectly.

In games I can set 1080p @120 hz. In Rise of the Tomb Raider i set 3d to on and 1080p 120hz. Once the game loads i set my projectors 3d setting to frame sequential mode. I had to flip L and R images with invert sync in the Optoma hd37 3d menu. Bang. Full 1080p 3d.

Best 120hz projector by far now!!!!!! Thanks Costco and Optoma

Its freak'n amazing to play games @ 120hz and the 3d in Tomb raider is stunning at 60hz and eye 1080p. No more 24hz 1080p 3d crap. I couldnt believe this setting was so hidden with such a new projector being so capable.

Thanks Toasty and the posters that helped with the inf files.

One thing to note is on a full reboot the 120hz isnt available right away until you hit detect display to force windows and the crimson drivers to load the edid from the registry.

im totally new to the oc stuff but i managed to get my laptop display upto 100hz but its not going more than 100 idk why the resolution is 1980x1080 i'd be happy if someone tell me to just get this upto 144 hz thank you
05-28-2024, 05:46 PM
Why is my resolution blurry when I set it to 1920x1080 in detailed resolutions? I say this because when I put it in full screen at 1920x1080 resolution in a game, you can see how blurry the image is. I left it at 1920x1080 in standard resolutions so that the image on my desktop would have normal quality, but I can't play in fullscreen if I don't add some detailed resolution. My windows is 11 PRO.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-28-2024, 07:41 PM
(05-26-2024 04:14 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(05-23-2024 04:38 AM)jeffeh12133 Wrote:  My main question is: by deleting all TV resolutions and seeing the second list pop up (not supported and native format 0) am i causing any issues with the PC resolutions? for example, is Native format being changed to 0 or IT Underscan being not supported a problem when I use regular 1080p at 144hz? I just wanna use 1920x1080 @ 144hz with Full RGB and proper colors.

deleting TV resolutions gives me a completely different image and lowers my eyestrain.

am i losing out on any features or losing proper functionality by deleting the TV resolutions in CRU? what do you recommend i do in this case?
CRU always sets IT underscan to false and native formats to 0 (undefined) because they have no effect in Windows.

IT underscan is whether PC resolutions are underscanned, which they normally are, but this is merely informational and doesn't affect anything, so CRU doesn't set it.

Native formats is the number of detailed resolutions that are considered native, but Windows only cares about the first one regardless, and 0 really means the number is not defined, so it's supposed to mean the same as 1 because the first detailed resolution is always considered the preferred resolution by the EDID standard.

TV resolutions are just a shorthand way of defining certain resolutions commonly used by HDTVs with specific timing parameters as defined by the CTA-861 standard. That actually has nothing to do with the HD resolutions being listed separately in the NVIDIA control panel, which is NVIDIA's own distinction and can happen with detailed resolutions as well if the timing parameters match the CTA-861 standard. Deleting the TV resolutions would not affect 144 Hz or the color formats.
i see. and because the 60hz 1080p is marked under the Ultra HD, HD, SD section of NVIDIA control panel as both a TV res and also as the preferred/native (first) detailed resolution, do you think i should force the color range to full RGB under the 60hz mode to "correct" the color signal since its marked as the native/preferred res? will this make a difference as opposed to just using the 144hz PC res and setting it to full RGB?
05-28-2024, 09:28 PM
(05-28-2024 07:41 PM)jeffeh12133 Wrote:  i see. and because the 60hz 1080p is marked under the Ultra HD, HD, SD section of NVIDIA control panel as both a TV res and also as the preferred/native (first) detailed resolution, do you think i should force the color range to full RGB under the 60hz mode to "correct" the color signal since its marked as the native/preferred res? will this make a difference as opposed to just using the 144hz PC res and setting it to full RGB?
I don't know what you mean. The NVIDIA color format setting should be global and not per resolution or refresh rate.
05-28-2024, 09:28 PM
(05-28-2024 05:46 PM)Diorye Wrote:  Why is my resolution blurry when I set it to 1920x1080 in detailed resolutions? I say this because when I put it in full screen at 1920x1080 resolution in a game, you can see how blurry the image is. I left it at 1920x1080 in standard resolutions so that the image on my desktop would have normal quality, but I can't play in fullscreen if I don't add some detailed resolution. My windows is 11 PRO.
What monitor is this? What are the timing parameters for the detailed resolutions? Is it blurry at both 60 Hz and 75 Hz? What's in the extension block?